PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] init: hostname main process (number) terminated with status 1

Ihaveaproblem
May 5th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Hi to all, I upgraded ubuntu 9.10 64bit to 10.04 64bit and I have now this strange phrase that appears a bit after boot-grub choose:

init: hostname main process (number) terminated with status 1

Please, what means and how I can correct it?
Thank you
:confused:

Ihaveaproblem
May 11th, 2010, 02:35 PM
up

DrAcid
May 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I have the same problem... Only I have just installed Lucid, got some updates... And now it's showing this...
Irritating and dangerous[?] little...thing...

Anybody?

Ihaveaproblem
May 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
up

Ihaveaproblem
May 24th, 2010, 07:25 PM
some idea?

al_erola
June 4th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Yes, I am having this problem also with the same message. I also tried to upgrade instead of a clean install. I have to wait while some process recycles.

Can anyone help with at least how to debug this?

Thanks

luceerose
June 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I started to get this message after I edited /etc/hosts & /etc/hostname
to change the name of my computer.
I was thinking it had something to do with the fact that I used Japanese characters in my new hostname.
The new hostname still shows up on login screen & works for networking purposes, so it hasn't caused any problems. Only that message on startup.

Ihaveaproblem
June 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
This alert seems innocuous for me too but, anyhow, I'd like understand why ubuntu writes on my monitor this sentence every boot and how to resolve it!
;)
Some expert can help us please?

Ihaveaproblem
August 16th, 2010, 03:56 AM
up

markackerman8@gmail.com
January 26th, 2011, 03:34 AM
wow sooo many Questions and no answers. There must be a general answer.

Yes I have it too, innocuous but irritating... ideas?

Mark

paze79
January 30th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hi,

just got this fixed myself.

I think the problem started around a month ago when I changed my computer hostname.
-> /etc/hosts AND /etc/hostname

Now I removed character _ from the name and problem solved. Ubuntu launches without errors.

Check if you have special characters in your hostname.

paze79

tahir.salfi
May 31st, 2011, 06:00 AM
Asslam-o-Alaikum
Dears i am also new to Ubuntu and i am using Ubutnu 10.04 LTS and i was facing same problem "init: hostname main process (number) terminated with status 1"
But now i have fix it with changing to some in my computer, i tell you how....
when i install ubuntu then give it my name "Tahir" and ubuntu installed with name of tahir@desktop on my computer.......
after some days i had changed my host name (tahir-desktop) to "Tahir Mahmood" then start to receiving on my log in "init: hostname main process (number) terminated with status 1"
Dears i have changed my host name "Tahir Mahmood" to "tahir-desktop" again....

Now i am not receiving that "init: hostname main process (number) terminated with status 1"

Tahir Mahmood:KS

Wtwine
September 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Changing "_" to "-" in my computer hostname did the trick

Edit using gksudo gedit /etc/hostname