PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu is in my daughter's school.

philodice
May 5th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I just found out that Kubuntu is the only OS that the children learn on in my daughter's computer lab. All those children are being raised on Linux! I live in Arizona, USA and I think this is an awesome step forward. These kids will be comfortable using ubuntu at home, in the office, and all their lives. They have a tech support kubuntu guru who manages all the computers in the school.

She sat right down at my new karmic laptop and started using it, no questions asked. Says, "Oh, you have this now. Cool."

Linuxforall
May 5th, 2010, 12:59 AM
This is indeed rare but a very good precedence, kudos to the admins of your daughter's school.

techunit
May 5th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I say bravo to the school who did such a noble thing as to use linux as a teaching medium!

lancest
May 5th, 2010, 02:02 AM
They should be commended for not wasting taxpayer dollars.
Any child who knows Ed/K/Ubuntu can function well in Windows.

jimreynold2nd
May 5th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I am officially envious (from a student from UCLA where "Linux lab" runs Fedora Core 4 on Pentium4s and "Windows labs" have Core2 Quads).

Roasted
May 5th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Damn! That is NICE. I work in a school district, and I would love to see an Ubuntu lab there. My boss has considered it, but there's just entirely too many projects on the table to get done with before we flirt with deploying a new OS. However it doesn't sound too far off in the future...

maestrobwh1
May 5th, 2010, 02:32 AM
The amount of money that a district would save by doing this is enormous.

Ms_Angel_D
May 5th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Moved the Cafe as this isn't really a testimonial or experience.

Lightstar
May 5th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I have a friend in phoenix who is a school advisor, I'll let her know about that linux school idea.

Roasted
May 5th, 2010, 04:24 AM
The amount of money that a district would save by doing this is enormous.

Yeah it would. School districts get TREMENDOUS discounts on Windows licensing too. But they would be saving a good chunk of cash.

I really hope we can do something like this in the future...

rabid9797
May 5th, 2010, 04:30 AM
should have used GNOME [-(

but i guess it's forgivable ;)

witeshark17
May 5th, 2010, 04:31 AM
That is so cool in a major way! :KS

Colro
May 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM
It's great and a good financial decision, but I really, REALLY hope that the kids are exposed to Windows as well. Any of them that want careers in business fields will have to deal with Windows some day and if the schools aren't providing that experience it's quite bad. I know I'm probably the first one to say anything negative about this, but... like it or not, Windows has and will likely always have the largest market share in our business world, and kids needs to learn how to use it at a young age. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they use Kubuntu, but I do hope that they have at least one Windows lab somewhere in the school.

lancest
May 5th, 2010, 11:26 AM
If the kids learn on Linux they can learn software principles and features rather than just about certain WINDOWS ONLY programs.

They can jump on Windows very quickly with that knowledge.

Lets see..... what should a SPREADSHEET do?
(where did that word come from?)

This is what my son is doing and it's going to be a slam dunk.

It's also debatable whether the Windows desktop will remain the defacto standard in the next 20-40 years.

This topic has been debated for a long time BTW.

That's my opinion you are welcome to yours.

V for Vincent
May 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
It's great and a good financial decision, but I really, REALLY hope that the kids are exposed to Windows as well.

I'm sure that'll happen, too. The amount of time I spent behind a computer screen in school is pretty marginal compared to how much I came into contact with computers elsewhere. This is definitely an unequivocally good thing.

murderslastcrow
May 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I think that, in 20 years, there will probably be a few different desktops used equally as much, since you can do most of what you need on OS X and Linux.

So, unless you're a gamer, the public view (if any) of Linux is the primary obstacle keeping Windows up there. Also, even though graphics and gaming have reached a pinnacle, that doesn't mean they'll stay on Windows, or that game consoles won't blow Windows out of the water as a gaming platform (with Steam coming to OS X and Linux, you could already argue for this happening).

The only business programs I can think of can run in Wine or VirtualBox, and the only knowledge a KDE user would have a hard time picking up in Windows is where to get software and how to avoid viruses and manage a system that can't take care of itself.

Sounds like a better idea to teach them how to Virtualize Windows for certain apps than how to deal with its aches and pains.

I have to agree with Lancest, though, that the motif for desktop interaction is basically the same with only a tiny bit relearning, no matter what OS you use.

But, I do see your point. If Windows were to remain the primary OS of more than half of the world's computer users, it would be silly not to expose them to it eventually.

However, since most Windows users are satisfied with XP at the moment and many still find upgrading daunting and unnecessary, the most growing markets are those sectors who are only just now getting into computing because of the lowered barriers to entry Linux provides, in India and Africa, for example.

I think, in 10 years, it's likely that our children will be taught how to use Linux, just in case, if anything.

Teber
May 5th, 2010, 01:35 PM
i agree that the way of thinking is essential in coming to grips with computers. it took me little time and effort to get the hang of working with windows having had previous experience with amigas and the mac only.

the transition from one sensible OS to another should be even easier. i felt at home with linux in next to no time....

aysiu
May 5th, 2010, 03:04 PM
It's great and a good financial decision, but I really, REALLY hope that the kids are exposed to Windows as well. Any of them that want careers in business fields will have to deal with Windows some day and if the schools aren't providing that experience it's quite bad. No, it isn't really bad at all:
Teach kids computer skills, not computer programs (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/teach-kids-computer-skills-not-computer-programs/)

LinuxFox
May 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
That is very cool, I wished my school would have been open to Linux like that. I'm done with school, but they used Windows. Or even being open to the idea of free software for that matter.

I remember in 2007 wanting the school to switch to FireFox since they used Internet Explorer. Too bad they didn't want to, even though computers got spyware.

philodice
May 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM
The school lab decision came from the fact that all the computers were donated, perhaps old, from previous programs. All of them had problems and viruses and needed fresh installs in order to be useful. The school could not afford to fix that. Some person's relative stepped forward and presented an idea to save the day.
My kids have a computer lab thanks to Ubuntu that they would not have if Windows was the only OS on the planet. Since one GUI is pretty much as intuitive as another, I'd say this is not going to cause any developmental problems. As in fact, I am using Ubuntu right now and see no difference in the screen before me than if I was using my larger home computer that has Windows on it.
Clock, weather, an internet browser...no meaningful difference.

Mainly, the difference in this case is that they have computers that work at all. :) And they get to make crass jokes when something 'fails to mount'.

The savings is intense. My daughter insisted we install open office because that was 'required by the school'. It wasn't, she just didn't want to have to save her work in .doc formats. The teachers all have to use Kubuntu also otherwise they would be unable to open and grade odt papers while working from home. My kid tipped up a fuss when the teacher tried to make the class save thier work in Windows95 format because she doesn't think she should have to. Imagine my surprise when I find out Open Office could open .docs and edit them, and save in them, my daughter was keeping secrets. :lolflag:

Linuxforall
May 6th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Kubuntu is absolutely the right choice, its attractive enough to appeal to the young retaining Linux's virtues.

Roasted
May 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Kubuntu is absolutely the right choice, its attractive enough to appeal to the young retaining Linux's virtues.

It's entirely a matter of preference. I experienced the exact opposite.

kio_http
May 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I just found out that Kubuntu is the only OS that the children learn on in my daughter's computer lab. All those children are being raised on Linux! I live in Arizona, USA and I think this is an awesome step forward. These kids will be comfortable using ubuntu at home, in the office, and all their lives. They have a tech support kubuntu guru who manages all the computers in the school.

She sat right down at my new karmic laptop and started using it, no questions asked. Says, "Oh, you have this now. Cool."

Could you please state which school it is. If so, you just might find it on the who uses Kubuntu on the http://kubuntu.orgredesigned kubuntu website.

philodice
May 6th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Learning Crossroads Basic Academy, and Seqoia Distance Learning in Arizona.

FoxMcCloudwp
May 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM
That's awesome!

Dayofswords
May 7th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah it would. School districts get TREMENDOUS discounts on Windows licensing too. But they would be saving a good chunk of cash.

I really hope we can do something like this in the future...

i want to mention these savings can only happen if they have computers with no OS or not replacing the current windows install

if its there already and its working fine, keep it, there wont be any savings in replacing it all unless the OS because unsupported or not within needs

but hey, linux in school, awesome

XP is most common in school, but support is ending in 2014, so i think they will replace the current computer(or just the OS) with something else by 2013, then.... we make our move...

Question to OP: what grade is she? like is this high school or elementary or middle, some odd mix or private maybe?

lancest
May 7th, 2010, 01:21 AM
if its there already and its working fine, keep it, there wont be any savings in replacing it all unless the OS because unsupported or not within needs

Often much fewer maintenance worries with Linux
No urgent need to purchase new hardware
(the you'd better upgrade trick)

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 7th, 2010, 01:39 AM
The school lab decision came from the fact that all the computers were donated, perhaps old, from previous programs. All of them had problems and viruses and needed fresh installs in order to be useful. The school could not afford to fix that. Some person's relative stepped forward and presented an idea to save the day.

I will be retiring in a few years. I want to be the "Some person's relative" that you mention, and set up / maintain computer labs. I would do it for schools, non-profit organizations, recreation centers, etc.

I've had home computers before Microsoft existed. Over the years I have used many operating systems. My children used those systems. Having a home computer actually improved their grades; however, for the wrong reasons IMHO.

My grandchildren live with me. I have computers with various operating systems. There are multiple Microsft OSes (Win XP, Vista, Windows 7), multiple Linux distros (Ubuntu, Centos, Fedora, etc), OSX, and so fourth. The grandchildren just use the computer that no one else is using. They don't care what OS is running as long as it supports their needs. They may prefer one computer over another because of the performance of the computer or if it supports an application they need (such as games, Netflix, etc.). Believe it or not, Win XP does run better on some very old hardware. I have never had to teach them how to use the OS or the applications. They quickly adapt, and explore what the OS or applications can do.

I look forward to retirement. I would enjoy helping the young people use whatever OS is right for the task they are trying to accomplish.

James78
May 7th, 2010, 03:36 AM
That's so awesome lol. TO have your kid sit down and start using Linux no questions asked is like... A dream come true right there. I'll probably be one of those guru guys managing the software for some company/school. Of course they'll all be running Linux...

James78
May 7th, 2010, 03:39 AM
That's so awesome lol. TO have your kid sit down and start using Linux no questions asked is like... A dream come true right there. I'll probably be one of those guru guys managing the software for some company/school. Of course they'll all be running Linux...