PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dist-upgrade fails [Karmic -> Lucid]

ronzo
May 4th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Today I was trying a dist-upgrade on a remote server.

Due to a problem with the hylafax-client package, dist-upgrade stopped.

Another 'apt-get dist-upgrade' did not continue the upgrade process.

Even 'dpkg --configure -a' or 'apt-get -f install' or 'apt-get upgrade' did not fix the problem with the partially upgraded system.

Then I accidently rebooted the server and locked myself out - because the system did not come up again (maybe it dropped to a root shell after rebooting).

Maybe i can boot up again with another kernel? I'll see...

What kind of procedure would you recommend me for this partially upgraded system? How can I fix it? (Setting sources back to karmic, upgrade again and afterwards to lucid) What would you recommend?

snowpine
May 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM
'apt-get dist-upgrade' is not the correct command to upgrade from Karmic to Lucid.

Try 'do-release-upgrade' instead. :)

ronzo
May 5th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks! Did not know about do-release-upgrade...

Do you think it will fix my problem?

snowpine
May 5th, 2010, 01:18 AM
If the only command you used was 'apt-get dist-upgrade' then you are still running Karmic. I do not really know what the problem is based on the limited information you've proviced, sorry. :( I have never used hylafax.

If stability is a concern, maybe wait a little while for the new Lucid release to settle down? If you hang out and read the forums, you'll get a heads-up on any major upgrade bugs.

ronzo
May 5th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I've replaced all ocurrences of karmic with lucid in /etc/apt/sources.list, followed by an apt-get update. Then I did the dist-upgrade which was interrupted somewhere in the middle...

snowpine
May 5th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I've replaced all ocurrences of karmic with lucid in /etc/apt/sources.list, followed by an apt-get update. Then I did the dist-upgrade which was interrupted somewhere in the middle...

Gotcha, I believe that's how they do it in Debian... Ubuntu does not support that method, as far as I know. Here is the official Ubuntu page on the topic (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Network%20Upgrade%20for%20Ubuntu%20Serve rs%20%28Recommended%29).

ronzo
May 5th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I've upgraded several ubuntu machines over the past few years with the method described above and I've never experienced any problems...

snowpine
May 5th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Cool, hopefully someone who's more experienced with that method will read this and offer up a solution. Sorry I wasn't much help. :)

ronzo
May 5th, 2010, 11:12 PM
@snowpine: Thanks for your help! At least you pointed me to do-release-upgrade which I did not know before...

Someone has tips on how to fix the partially upgraded system?

ronzo
May 7th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Is there someone around who knows what to do?