PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Toshiba Portege M750 problems

grantg
May 4th, 2010, 08:55 PM
So, I have to use this windows computer for my school, and i hate windows!! Ubuntu is perfect for me, except that i have to dual boot sometimes to windows 7 for the one application that wont run in a virtual environment (LockDown Browser, and occasionally onenote). Except, i cant find tablet control features in Ubuntu, to change input devices (the touchscreen is awful, but I cant turn off the option to use finger as an input device. Also, when i boot to windows 7, the mouse track pad/left and right click doesn't work (they work in Ubuntu)??? The keyboard does, and so does my stylus (which I have to use as a substitute) Any help would be great!! Thanks, Grant

Favux
May 5th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Hi Grant,

What version of Ubuntu are you in? Karmic or Lucid or ?

grantg
May 5th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx.

I posted this after trying to reinstall mouse drivers for my Windows 7 side, which failed after restarting, but magically after a couple more restarts my mouse movement and click functions came back???

Anyway, I LOVE UBUNTU. While Windows 7 informs me that their own Microsoft application has stopped working and "is looking for a solution," Ubuntu just works. Also, my machine has always booted slowly (even after reimaging). Ubuntu flies into action in no time!

My main concern is finding Toshiba tablet drivers, as some of my hardware doesn't work. My google abilities are weak, and I've gotten no where in the subject. I'm new to Ubuntu, so I thought maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? I'd just love to get features like rotating the screen when I go into tablet mode. A point in any direction would be an amazing help.

Thanks!!
-Grant

Favux
May 5th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hi Grant,

So your stylus works? How many buttons on the stylus? Does it have an eraser?

You can turn touch off. First we need to know what Lucid is calling your Wacom devices. So in a terminal enter:

xinput --list
and post the output.

grantg
May 5th, 2010, 07:12 AM
grant@grant-laptop:~$ xinput --list
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ PS/2 Mouse id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Serial Wacom Tablet eraser id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Serial Wacom Tablet touch id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Serial Wacom Tablet id=15 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation id=16 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ CNA7157 id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]

My stylus has a right click button and eraser. I don't believe the button on the stylus is configured for right click as all I know it does is close Firefox tabs.

Thanks!
-Grant

Favux
May 5th, 2010, 07:29 AM
OK, the device names have changed. Here is what I mean:

stylus = Serial Wacom Tablet or 15

eraser = Serial Wacom Tablet eraser or 13

touch = Serial Wacom Tablet touch or 14

So to turn touch off instead of:

xsetwacom set touch Touch off
which is the old name you would use:

xsetwacom set "Serial Wacom Tablet" Touch off

Notice you have to use quotes around the device names. Or you could use:

xsetwacom set 14 Touch off
N-trigs have problems with touch and writing too. So there are a couple of scripts to toggle touch on and off in "6) Turning touch on and off" in the N-trig HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7863677&postcount=1).

To make the stylus button a right click see "c) Lucid-configuring through 10-wacom.conf" in the linuxwacom HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6546012&postcount=1). Add to the serial Wacom snippet/section:

Option "Button2" "3"
like so:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom serial class identifiers"
MatchProduct "WACf|FUJ02e5|FUJ02e7"
Driver "wacom"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection

Reboot and you should be good.

grantg
May 5th, 2010, 08:20 AM
That did it!

Thanks!

Any idea where I might start to be able to rotate my screen?

Favux
May 5th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Grant,

Great! :)

Sure, the Rotation HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6274392&postcount=1). A modified method one script should work for you. Also wacomrotate in method 3.