PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing linux-headers

doesntcount
May 4th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Need to install linux-headers so I can install vmware tools on my ubuntu 10.04 guest os.

nkaun@nkaun-pc2-linux-vm:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-headers-2.6.32-21.32

How do i get the linux headers installed? Is 2.6.32-21 good enough? I somehow doubt it.

Thanks.

oldos2er
May 4th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Do you have the source code repositories enabled? Check System, Administration, Software Sources.

Edit: And unless it's in the proposed repos, 2.6.32-21 appears to be the most recent.

"Is 2.6.32-21 good enough? I somehow doubt it."

Good enough for what, exactly?

gzarkadas
May 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Use
sudo synaptics to open the synaptics package manager and type `linux-headers' in the search box. Then select the type that fits in your case (-generic is the most probable).

PS: Your command failed because you didn't append the type of headers wanted.

doesntcount
May 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Weird, no example i saw suggested that I needed to append "-generic". Also, when i open up synaptic, i see 2.6.32-21-generic, but uname -r shows 2.6.32.21.32. I'm worried that the extra .32 is important. If it's not, then i'm okay.

oldos2er
May 4th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I must be going blind (sigh). "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" is a perfectly good command.

doesntcount
May 4th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Sigh. I tried using 2.6.32-21-generic, and received this error while configuring the vwmare tools:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic/

The path "/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic/" is not valid.
Would you like to change it? [yes] yes

Frustrating how not out of the box ubuntu is with vmware workstation.

doesntcount
May 4th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I must be going blind (sigh). "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" is a perfectly good command.

I know! I've used a dozen times before :(

doesntcount
May 4th, 2010, 10:41 PM
So, it looks like my linux-headers are installed, but the vmware-config tool can't find them, even though i'm providing it with a perfectly valid path.

Has anybody had problems install vmware tools on ubuntu 10.04 like this? Did you find a solution for it?

gzarkadas
May 5th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Try to cd to '/usr/src' and run `ls'. If you see a plain 'linux-headers-2.6.32-21' then specify this path to vmware-config.

gzarkadas
May 5th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I re-read your posts and the version numbers that you report
2.6.32.21.32 suggest that you need one of those packages (at least those I found in my synaptic lists):

linux-headers-generic
linux-headers-386
linux-headers-generic-pae

It probably has to do with the fact that you run Ubuntu through a virtual machine (if I understand it right). Try to install those packages (note if their version in synaptic matches yours) and rerun your vmware-config.

doesntcount
May 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Looks like it's a bug in vmware's install scripts in Workstation 7.0. I've downgraded to 6.5 and everything works great. Stupid Workstation 7.0 :/

dgremy
October 8th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I was disappointed with vmware-tools install on 10.04 server, but finally got it to work.

first create a symbolic link to the correct folder:
ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic/include /usr/src/linux-headers

after that was done went back to vmware-tools installer and pointed the installer to the folder:
/usr/src/linux-headers

it then found the path to be valid and completed the installation.