PDA

View Full Version : [kde] LTS 10.04: HELP...how can I switch back to GNOME from KDE black screen?

project4
May 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hi,

Please need your help..

I was running Ubuntu 10.04, everything normal, using the GNOME desktop... then I wanted to change my login screen... I went into the login screen settings and saw an option "login into KDE environment"... the other options were "login to GNOME environment" and two other safe mode options...

I chose the KDE option... restarted and then I get this:
- ubuntu login screen
- black screen
- nice blueish screen with at the centre the icon of a hard drive, settings... a globe and a desktop... and then..... black screen...

- then a pop up of a bug reporting assistant stating "knotify application closed unexpectedly", details: Executable: knotify4 PID: 2564 signal 11 (segmentation fault)...it gives me the option to report the bug... i tried to do this.. but i am not connected to the internet...or KDE is not connecting.... I closed the bug assistant pop up... and am left with a black screen with mouse pointer...

- all that works is alt-F2,,, but I do not know what to do there... I tried running "gnome-terminal" which does run... but again have no good knowledge of linux commands...

All I want to do now... is go back to my familiair Gnome desktop...

Please please help...

Thanks!

project4
May 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I got back into GNOME...

used the alt-F2... typed in log.. and it gave me the login screen settings application....

wont be trying KDE for now... because I do not know what the problem was... shame because I wanted to try it out...

Untitled_No4
May 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM
It seems like not all components of KDE are installed on your system. In terminal try to install kubuntu-desktop and see if it's already installed. If not, install it (if you still want to try KDE, that is) and if it's already installed try to reinstall it.

Best is to install it using aptitude since it means that removing it later (if find yourself wanting to do so) will remove all dependencies as well. The command is
sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop to install or
sudo aptitude reinstall kubuntu-desktop to reinstall (obviously...)

Zorael
May 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
It seems like not all components of KDE are installed on your system. In terminal try to install kubuntu-desktop and see if it's already installed. If not, install it (if you still want to try KDE, that is) and if it's already installed try to reinstall it.
Likely this is what happened. There have been several other threads where the solution has shown to be to install plasma-desktop. I'm not sure how you installed KDE onto your existing installation, but it's likely incomplete.