PDA

View Full Version : what is Ubuntu worth (donation thread)

xir_
May 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hey guys i'm looking to donate back to the Ubuntu project.

I started wondering what people valued their experience with Ubuntu at?

Personally i'm thinking of donating around £50 to Ubuntu for lucid as i have had that much enjoyment out of testing and using it. It's just ashame i can't donate with the aim of helping development of particular features i'm interested in.

Half-Left
May 4th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Why not donate to the upstream projects then?

xir_
May 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Why not donate to the upstream projects then?

Well to me the most important feature is power saving and i don't think there really is an upstream for that so much (as it includes mesa xorg kernel and user-space).

Other than that i am grateful for Ubuntu an would like to donate directly to the project.

fatality_uk
May 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM
£26.75 & it's Canonical to donate to.

swoll1980
May 4th, 2010, 07:28 PM
To me it's worth testing, bug reporting, and helping with support threads. I believe everyone can give back in many different ways. I'm in a bad financial situation right now, so this is how I give back.

xir_
May 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
To me it's worth testing, bug reporting, and helping with support threads. I believe everyone can give back in many different ways. I'm in a bad financial situation right now, so this is how I give back.

That is fair enough.

Half-Left
May 4th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Just wondering. Why would you donate to Canonical when they have money?

Mark Shuttleworth is a billionaire.

Untitled_No4
May 4th, 2010, 08:36 PM
The price of Windows 7 Pro is £90 according to Google shopping.
The Mandriva Powerpack is 69 Euros per year.
Mac OS X is £71 according to Google Shopping.
Ubuntu 1 year starter support is £34.73

In my opinion Canonical are a business and Ubuntu is their product. If I wanted to show monetary support I'd do business with them. Since their product is free I try to help where I can, but my donation money goes to other not-for-profit projects, mainly KDE because I think they have the most influence over my experience with Linux. I made a deal with KDE (they're not aware of it): every time they fix a bug that bugged me I give them £25. Fortunately for them they fixed three so far. Fortunately for me there are no outstanding bugs on my list currently.

Merk42
May 4th, 2010, 08:37 PM

To show that we appreciate the work.
Also, the money would (hopefully) go to the developers/artists/etc of Canonical, not Shuttleworth himself.

xir_
May 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
To show that we appreciate the work.
Also, the money would (hopefully) go to the developers/artists/etc of Canonical, not Shuttleworth himself.

I agree with this.

i don't need support i don't really listen to music but i love their product.

It would be really good if canonical could be more transparent with donations.

Or think about it this way, i have been using Ubuntu for 4 years now how much bandwidth have i already used up in upgrades and isos.

Mike BFD
May 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM

For me, the funniest is that I completely subscribe to the idea "any job done should be paid for". I therefore don't count money in Mr. Shuttleworth's pocket, if you understand what I mean))

What I really hate, it's the present situation with computer sales in Finland. All computers are being sold with Windows pre-installed (I presume it's up to vendors, not retailers) so every time anyone buys a PC, Mr. Gates gets his share.

I do not refuse to pay for an OS (generally, for everything) I like - but why should I pay to "a wrong guy"?? Well, donating Canonical with the money for which a Windows copy can be purchased - that's just fair, I guess. Already the fact they don't FORCE me to pay is worth paying for!!)))))

But my main problem now is to find a way NOT to pay for Windows next time I'll need a new comp.

Grenage
May 5th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Personally, my time is more than enough. If I was paid the going rate for all the hours I've put into trying to help people, it would amount to substantially more than the price of a few OS copies - and my input pales greatly in comparison to the amount of time others here put in.

If I was going to donate, it would be to the gnome project, or a few others.