PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lucid Java woes

maphilli14
May 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I posted this to ABT, but didn't think it was the right audience, and don't know how to move the thread. Please let me know if anyone can help get me in the right direction...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1471144

frantid
May 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM
check the release notes, they removed sun java from the repositories -- you need to add it separately -- directions in the release notes.

maphilli14
May 4th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I added the Sun repo's from the software center and installed:

miphilli@Aquila:~$ dpkg -l | grep sun-java
ii sun-java6-bin 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
ii sun-java6-javadb 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3 Java(TM) DB, Sun Microsystems' distribution
ii sun-java6-jdk 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3 Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6
ii sun-java6-jre 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
ii sun-java6-plugin 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3 The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6
ii sun-java6-source 6.20dlj-1ubuntu3 Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6 source
ii sun-javadb-client 10.3.2.1-0ubuntu2 Java DB client
ii sun-javadb-common 10.3.2.1-0ubuntu2 Java DB common files
ii sun-javadb-core 10.3.2.1-0ubuntu2 Java DB core
ii sun-javadb-doc 10.3.2.1-0ubuntu2 Java DB documentation
miphilli@Aquila:~$

miphilli@Aquila:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)
miphilli@Aquila:~$

What am I missing from the release notes?

frantid
May 4th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Nothing... you were already there, my apologies. I'm not sure why it won't work for you.

maphilli14
May 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Nothing... you were already there, my apologies. I'm not sure why it won't work for you.

That's OK, you were just trying to help! :( Strange issue, and I think other folks in my organization have solved this issue by switching from OpenJDK to Sun Java, which worked once but never again. I have cleaned java cache via console and manually. Any steps to take to gather more info are appreciated!

Mike

timwebuk
May 4th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I'm having some Java problems too. I'm relatively new to Ubuntu actually, in fact I installed 9.10 a few days ago and then this was released! So I attempted to update and now I cannot run 'java' as it isn't installed.

I am trying to use aptitude and apt-get... but much to no avail. Now I have a feeling I'm starting to make a mess on the OS from running all of these installs, any idea how to clean it up and actually get it working?

Sorry for the noob questions!

I've been using this site as a reference:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-java-runtime-environment-jre-in-ubuntu.html

PRC09
May 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Maybe.....post#4 or post#6

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6/+bug/532174

occams_beard
May 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
check the release notes, they removed sun java from the repositories -- you need to add it separately -- directions in the release notes.

I need to use sun java. It's a real bummer that they removed it from the official repo.

What is the rationale for their decision to remove it? On the release notes it says OpenJDK is recommended. Why?

frantid
May 4th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I don't know. But if I had to bet, I'd bet that it is because it's "sun's". With MS going after some linux distro's, I could see it as a means to prevent any legal action from Sun against Canonical.

occams_beard
May 5th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I don't know. But if I had to bet, I'd bet that it is because it's "sun's". With MS going after some linux distro's, I could see it as a means to prevent any legal action from Sun against Canonical.

Well, sadly, Sun does not exist any more. Swallowed up by Oracle, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Sun, I think, has always been very friendly toward open source communities, Why would they not want their products distributed?

In any case, I would like to know the reason why the "sun/oracle" version of java was removed.

bm.riyadh
May 5th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I am in problem with java in firefox. Each time I enter into a site that use java like facebook image uploader, firefox shows "missing required plugin" but when I search using plugin finder service it does not got it and tells to install it manually. In java homepage I saw that the JRE files are in either rpm or bin file. How can I install a bin or rpm file? Please help me. Thanks.:mad:

-----------------------------
Java jobs in Chicago
http://mmdtech.com/job_list.php

infamous-online
May 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I am in problem with java in firefox. Each time I enter into a site that use java like facebook image uploader, firefox shows "missing required plugin" but when I search using plugin finder service it does not got it and tells to install it manually. In java homepage I saw that the JRE files are in either rpm or bin file. How can I install a bin or rpm file? Please help me. Thanks.:mad:

-----------------------------
Java jobs in Chicago
http://mmdtech.com/job_list.php

Here's what someone here suggested that worked for me, uninstall the openjdk version of java and everything related to it. Next, open synaptic and go to repositories and check the ubuntu lucid parter link. Then, hit the reload button and close it after it's done. now open up a terminal and type in the following.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts

and after that's done, open up firefox and type in about:plugins in the address bar and it should let you know if java is enabled on your browser or not. Try it out and let me know your results. :guitar: