PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrating to ubuntu 10.4 from ubuntu 9.10

linux_dream
May 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Although I use Ubuntu since half a year in parallel with windows XP, I'm still a newbie. If my question has already been asked and solved, I'd appreciate a link to the thread(s).
Ok so my problem is the time taken to upgrate. Some people say it takes a few hours. I generally download at 100 kbits/s but way fewer than this for the upgrate to the latest version of ubuntu. I don't know why it doesn't even download at 1 kbits/s. The time remaining to get the newest version is approximately 24 days! I mean, it's not a few hours nor a few days but a few weeks!
My connection works great, as I said I can download anything else at 100 kbits/s. How can I fix this problem?
Further I had already started the new update but had to turn off my cpu so the downloading stopped at 4 files out of 1996 and now that I restarted I have a problem with Nvidia and Ubuntu is running on low graphics mod. I hope the problem will be solved when upgrating to the 10.4 version.
Thanks for any help.

gordintoronto
May 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Use the torrent download.

linux_dream
May 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Use the torrent download.
Thanks for the suggestion. Though it seems it's a CD image or so, but my CD player is broken so I can't use it. Or I'm missing your point? Could you provide a link so that I see if I need to use the CD player?
Thanks.

gordintoronto
May 6th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Yes, you need to use a CD or DVD burner. Here, there are many good DVD burners which cost less than $30.

linux_dream
May 6th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Yes, you need to use a CD or DVD burner. Here, there are many good DVD burners which cost less than $30.
Ok I see, thank you. In fact I have one in my computer but it won't open. I made a bad manipulation and now it's totally stuck, though I'm sure the burner still works.
Here a DVD burner is more expensive than in Canada or USA and as a student I don't have the opportunity to spend that much for "a new version of Ubuntu" while I can eat for almost a week with this money.
I'm currently downloading very slowly since yesterday, I guess I reached 2%. I've downloaded 632 files out of 1996 though. I think I'm going to stick with this method of just waiting.
On the other hand I was thinking that I'm maybe downloading the files from a server far away from Argentina and that it might be much slower than a nearer server. I've no idea if it's true nor if I can check it out, nor if I can choose another server to download the update. All the other updates of Ubuntu are equally slow since this month, I don't know why. Even a 1 Mb file take more than 30 minutes to download while with my current connect I should download it within 10 s.