PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Random naming of disks at each boot, after upgrade to 10.04

Etienne53
May 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hi all,

After upgrade to 10.04, my disks are randomly named (sda, sdb, sdc) at each boot. My drive labeled "XP" is sometimes named "sdb" and sometimes "sdc", while my other drive "DATA" is respectively "sdc" or "sdb". This wasn't the case before upgrade with KUbuntu 9.10.

Due to this random naming, my auto-mount in fstab often fail at boot time !

Any solution for this (not found here by myself) ?

Is this linked to Grub troubles reported many times here ?

:confused:

psusi
May 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Fix your fstab to use UUID instead of naming the device directly.

sudo blkid will show you the UUIDs of detected filesystems, then replace /dev/sdwhatever in fstab with UUID=xxxx.

Etienne53
May 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Fix your fstab to use UUID instead of naming the device directly.
sudo blkid will show you the UUIDs of detected filesystems, then replace /dev/sdwhatever in fstab with UUID=xxxx.

OK, thanks... It will certainly solve the auto-mount trouble.

But, I don't like the idea that my drives are named randomly at each boot... I guess this will be the source of some other troubles and instabilities.

I hope this behavior will be updated soon !

;)

psusi
May 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I hope this behavior will be updated soon !

;)

Nope, the behavior is intentional. Hardware is now scanned in parallel, so the exact order in which it is detected can vary from boot to boot. This is why UUIDs were introduced.

Etienne53
May 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Nope, the behavior is intentional.

:(:(:(

efflandt
May 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Maybe that accounts for my problems attempting to boot 10.04 LTS full install from USB on on one computer (desktop), when it boots fine on two completely different laptops. How does grub2 in the mbr tell which disk is which to find its other files and menu?

For example in grub.cfg on the USB drive, that drive ends up as (hd1) with Linux on (hd1,2). From grub rescue prompt on the desktop, it appears to be (hd0) in which case Linux should be (hd0,2). But the initial grub error (before it even gets to any menu) is unknown filesystem (it is ext3). And ls (hd0,2)/ cannot access anything.

If I sudo update-grub on my main hard drive (from karmic), then it cannot find the USB drive by its (correct) UUID.

The install iso boots fine from CD or USB flash on the PC that cannot boot the full 10.04 on USB hd. Karmic also boots fine from USB hd on that PC, it is just Lucid that fails.