PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Shebang question

xaegis
May 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
It appears that my IDE (Geany) will not recognize my shebang. Am I doing something wrong?

#!/usr/bin/env python3

foo=input("You should type some stuff!:")
print (foo)

It appears that the "input" command will not accept strings even though, if I recall correctly, it should: as of Python v. 3.0.

What gives?

doas777
May 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM
well, does the filename end in .py, and have you saved the document, or set the format in geany?

also geany itself may not be ready for py3, or you need a newer version than what is in the repos.

xaegis
May 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
well, does the filename end in .py, and have you saved the document, or set the format in geany?

also geany itself may not be ready for py3, or you need a newer version than what is in the repos.

The Geany version in Repo is 0.18 and the latest is 0.18.1. whenever I try to invoke the script from the shell I get the same undefined error. It is as though python3 is not available even through the terminal unless I invoke it by using: "python3" first, but the shebang is not affecting the script at all.

The document is saved as a .py file.

does the input() function handle strings for anyone else?

Bachstelze
May 4th, 2010, 06:29 PM
The Geany version in Repo is 0.18 and the latest is 0.18.1. whenever I try to invoke the script from the shell I get the same undefined error. It is as though python3 is not available even through the terminal unless I invoke it by using: "python3" first, but the shebang is not affecting the script at all.

How are you running your script in the shell?

xaegis
May 4th, 2010, 06:35 PM
How are you running your script in the shell?

python3 foo.py

But you know now it is working from terminal.
:confused:

still no love from geany or SPE!

Bachstelze
May 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
still no love from geany or SPE!

They probably don't use the shebang line at all. It is generally only used when you run the script from a shell by typing its path, like

./script.py

Look in the preferences if they let you choose the Python version, also try to see on their mailing lists if anyone asked the same question.

xaegis
May 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah you're right. If I set the source file execution to: "python3" it solves the problem. But it will no longer access PyQt4 modules

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "TitleScreen.py", line 7, in <module>
from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore
ImportError: No module named PyQt4

So then the question becomes how do I get python3 to use the python 2.6 modules on my system?

Bachstelze
May 4th, 2010, 07:02 PM
So then the question becomes how do I get python3 to use the python 2.6 modules on my system?

The answer is; you can't. Modules that were specifically built for one version of Python won't work in another. You could try to build PyQT for Python 3, but why not just use Python 2.6?

xaegis
May 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
The online tutorials I was using were Python3 specific. And I thought it was something I was doing wrong. But now that I know that I can just make things backward compatible i.e. input -> raw_input for strings, etc.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
:D