PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrade from Mint 8

Pauly BC
May 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hi all,

I am running Mint 8 KDE 64-bit edition, which is very nice by the way. Last night I tried to run the upgrade to lucid, but it did not commit any changes, and the version is still listed as Mint 8 Helena, which is based on Karmic. I am guessing the Mint guys have set apt-get to look at the Mint repositories rather than Ubuntu.

What do I need to do to bring my system up to version 10.04, including Gnome 2.30 and KDE 4.4.2?

Thanks
p

kansasnoob
May 4th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hi all,

I am running Mint 8 KDE 64-bit edition, which is very nice by the way. Last night I tried to run the upgrade to lucid, but it did not commit any changes, and the version is still listed as Mint 8 Helena, which is based on Karmic. I am guessing the Mint guys have set apt-get to look at the Mint repositories rather than Ubuntu.

What do I need to do to bring my system up to version 10.04, including Gnome 2.30 and KDE 4.4.2?

Thanks
p

Basically wait until Mint has their own upgrade path set. Even though Mint is based on Ubuntu there are some significant differences.

I've tried keeping a Mint /home w/o formatting on a clean install of Ubuntu and it's a mess. (A mess that can be sorted out, but still a mess). I've also tried just the opposite and it's also a mess :(

Pauly BC
May 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Wow. Thanks for the help, that is so very helpful in a not very helpful manner.

Anyways, looking through the posts, I ran sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop with some success. I now have Mint 8 KDE and Ubuntu Karmic Gnome. Unfortunately in Ubuntu Gnome it says it is up to date and does not list any upgrades available. I suspect I need to update my repo list to include the latest versions.

If so, can someone please share with me the repo list that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 Gnome and KDE editions?

Thank you kindly