PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 and xserver 1.5

rk0629
May 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
So, I've had this crazy idea...

My only other posts are regarding the same subject matter: getting my Radeon X850 XT and the "Legacy" ATI Catalyst 9.3 drivers to play nice with Ubuntu 9.04 and later so that I'm not stuck with 8.10 while I beat my head against the wall that my newer computer happens to have the currently-unsupported HD 3870 X2 in it.

I've done a bit of searching and discovered that once upon a time, someone wrote a guide to downgrade from xserver 1.6 to 1.5 in Ubuntu 9.04.

This was accomplished by using Synaptic to lock the xserver-xorg packages. What I propose, in hopes that there is some Linux professional or super-experienced, long-time hobbyist around to help with this, is that it is possible to either:

1) install 8.04 LTS and use Synaptic to lock X packages and perform a distribution upgrade to 10.04

or

2) maintain my current installation of 10.04 and revert X to 1.5 so that the "legacy" fglrx driver will work again.

If it IS possible, what would be the safest route to go about it? I've no important data that would be lost if anything goes wrong, for what it's worth; anything important is always on a separate drive and backed up externally.

Let's have at this thing.

:popcorn: