PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lucid Mainline Kernels - Status and gotchas?

oserdavid
May 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Because of the particular display on my Ubuntu laptop (HP Compaq Nx5000) and similar that others have, there are severe problems for many of us with the version of Lucid just released... very well documented elsewhere - and even in the Known Issues. Various workarounds sort of work (eg, in my case, I can get it to install and work - except cannot use Cheese to access my webcam, which just crashes Ubuntu, or I can get it to work almost properly with an older kernel). However, I've found the best solution is to use the 'Mainline' kernel and version of Lucid. Currently on rc6. Instructions for installing this may be found here:

item #54 (Thanks to Alban)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/568779

The instructions need to be modified slightly to take account of the latest version - which you may check via Google, etc, if interested.

But my question is this - once installed, will the Mainline version update normally via update-manager? What are the disadvantages of using it (else why isn't it the version featured in Release?). In other words - what is it? And, finally, assuming the bug(s) in the official release version (say i386 in my case) do eventually get fixed for our class of display chip, how can one reasonably painlessly get back onto the mainstream (as opposed the the 'mainline')? Or should one simply not bother?

An ancillary question is - is inadvisable, in the meantime, to use Computer Janitor to get rid of the 'junk' occasioned by previous installs?

I hope someone here is geeky enough to know the answers to these queries, while patient enough to explain them in a reasonably ungeeky manner!! Sorry...:confused:

David