PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] I screwed up panels need help

joelw135
May 4th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I was playing around and I in error deleted both top and bottom panels. How do I get them back? I now can't get to the menus etc.

Nidwow
May 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I was playing around and I in error deleted both top and bottom panels. How do I get them back? I now can't get to the menus etc.

Press ALT+F2 and in the run dialog box, type gnome-terminal then click run.

Enter the following command at the prompt:

gconftool-2 –-shutdown
gconftool –-recursive-unset /apps/panel

(no spaces between the two dashes before shutdownno spaces between the two dashes before shutdown)

Then enter the next command:

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

And enter one more command:

pkill gnome-panel

HTH

joelw135
May 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Press ALT+F2 and in the run dialog box, type gnome-terminal then click run.

Enter the following command at the prompt:

gconftool-2 –-shutdown
gconftool –-recursive-unset /apps/panel

(no spaces between the two dashes before shutdownno spaces between the two dashes before shutdown)

Then enter the next command:

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

And enter one more command:

pkill gnome-panel

HTH

I did that and lost my theme and all the icons I had set on my desktop.

Nidwow
May 4th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I did that and lost my theme and all the icons I had set on my desktop.

Did you get two gnome panels back to default top, bottom and menus? Stuffs that you put on panel prior will be lost at the time of your acidentally deleting the panels.

Before you have restore the gnome panel back to the default setting you still have stuffs on your desktop? Restoring gnome panel shouldn't effect desktop items anyhow.

joelw135
May 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Did you get two gnome panels back to default top, bottom and menus? Stuffs that you put on panel prior will be lost at the time of your acidentally deleting the panels.

Before you have restore the gnome panel back to the default setting you still have stuffs on your desktop? Restoring gnome panel shouldn't effect desktop items anyhow.

OK I will have to figure out why it is all screwed up. I do have the default panels. Thanks.