PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] help system recovery!

soumo
May 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM
So I've gone and royally screwed my system!

I had a triple boot in order XP, 7, Ubu (Karmic). In there was also a swap partition, and an NTFS one for storage.

My partition tables had been messed up for a while, but I had a usable system. Figuring I could do without XP, I tried to format the partition but was unable to using 7's manager or Lucid gparted via usb key. I figured it was a space issue and foolishly started wiping off almost allthe files in XP from within 7. Some would not delete (eg. bootmgr). I then tried to format XP from 7 or shrink the partition -no joy. I tried using Easeus Partition Manager but it said I needed to do a reboot (presumably it would repartition after doing so). On reboot I got: bootmgr is missing error and realized my stupid silly mistake!

I had initially set up the tri-boot via easybcd or bcdedit -can't remember which. File recovery is not a problem thanks to testdisk and Lucid Live, however I'd like to recover without starting from scratch.

Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe using a windows XP or 7 recovery cd to "fixboot", or dragging and dropping bootmgr to the right place in XP for rebooting. But before proceeding, I love to get some suggestions. I don't really care about the ubu partition and was going to install LL over it anyhow.

-Thanks in advance.

soumo
May 4th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Solved! I just used ubu LL usb Live to boot in, then went to my cannabalized XP found bootmgr and basicallycopied it back to everywhere I could think of.

On reboot, it worked! Now I will figure out how to safely remove XP. Hope this helps someone else.