PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu IS GREAT!!!

burhangondal
May 4th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to share that LUBUNTU is the greatest, lightest, and simplest yet very usable distro i have ever seen.....I have a laptop and i have tried like EVERY DAM SINGLE LINUX distro on it and there would be something that would slow it down cuz it's a 7 years old intel celeron 2.8GHZ with 1.5GB ram laptop.....

I installed LUBUNTU and wow...i was very impressed that everything is running so fast and smooth including youtube (flash player)....I can imagine running it on my brand new Dell laptop with 2.90GHZ Intel I5 with 4gb of ram....it would FLYYYYY....

The point is...LUBUNTU ROCKSSSS..because other light weight distros such as, puppy linux and DSL, etc etc compare to lubuntu, doesnt provide that much functionality and are not that user friendly.....

LUBUNTU ROCKSSSSS...:D so does UBUNTU ;)

kerry_s
May 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
wait till you get use to it, then you'll start tweaking it to you & then realize how much easier it is to work with then other desktops. it don't get in the way of changes you want to make.

for example: on mine a swapped lxpanel for xfce4-panel & pcmanfm for nautilus & everything still works right. not like the other desktops where they tie this to that.

jchiar
May 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I am installing it at next boot on this old desktop, I ran another *nix system with it and was amazed at the concise actions and relative speed.
For Ubuntu it is still Beta3, so I will see you in the #freenode channels soon.

HarrisonNapper
May 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Once I get my touchscreen calibrated, this will be an excellent DE. I hope that Canonical decides to make it official. There's not much there that can't already be done in the repos, but the speed out of the box is really what makes it great, I think. It's perfect for LiveUSBs.

That being said, most Ubuntu users may not like it, as it sacrifices some usability, but for people who like OpenBox and using Alt-F2 and the terminal anyway, it's just what the doctor ordered. The netbook doctor.

Most of all, battery life will be ridiculous on it. :)

Joe Awsome
May 8th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Can't wait till I can get it to boot and install on my old HP (p3 600mhz, 128mb sdram 100mhz, 10gig hdd), as stated before battery life should be higher as oposed to win98. I always get 2 errors though, then I get a blank cursor. Any Ideas? I also have beta3 on my desktop right now, and it flys like no other (p4 2.8ghz with hyper threading, 512mb ram 333mhz, 160gb WD hdd)!

ubunterooster
May 8th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I have a 3.1 Ghz CPU and a SSD. Xubuntu and especially Lubuntu fly.

WOOOOOSH

kio_http
May 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I agree its great. Unfortunately it has not been packaged into a distribution of its own.

ubunterooster
May 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I agree its great. Unfortunately it has not been packaged into a distribution of its own.
http://lubuntu.net/

mister_playboy
May 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM

I'm glad it got it's own distribution. IMO, Xubuntu isn't that much lighter than Ubuntu these days, so a new low-resource *buntu was needed. ;)

ubunterooster
May 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
wait till you get use to it, then you'll start tweaking it to you & then realize how much easier it is to work with then other desktops. it don't get in the way of changes you want to make.

for example: on mine a swapped lxpanel for xfce4-panel & pcmanfm for nautilus & everything still works right. not like the other desktops where they tie this to that.
How do I get the xfce desktop manager (the one that has all the nice options such as right-click for applications menu) to replace the Lx11 desktop manager?

Dayofswords
May 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM
*clears throat*
you hear that Canonical?

We approve of Lubuntu :)

theres even have a lubuntu prefix

cascade9
May 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I have a 3.1 Ghz CPU and a SSD. Xubuntu and especially Lubuntu fly.

WOOOOOSH

You've got to try a minimal install Xfce then. Xubuntu is slow as a wet week compared to a minimal install Xfce.

I recently tried LXDE (on a different distro, not ubuntu) and I was a little shocked at how little benefit I got over Xfce. Xfce idles at about 70MB of RAM, LXDE was about 65MB. I was hoping it would be a lot lighter than that, and as it stands, I'd rather use Xfce. ;)

phillw
May 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hi,
beta3 stable is the final release for the 10.04 series. If you have less than 160GB of RAM then you can install via minimal installation.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

is the wiki page area, minimal installation is covered at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp#Minimal Install

Regards,

Phill.

ubunterooster
May 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
You've got to try a minimal install Xfce then. Xubuntu is slow as a wet week compared to a minimal install Xfce.

I recently tried LXDE (on a different distro, not ubuntu) and I was a little shocked at how little benefit I got over Xfce. Xfce idles at about 70MB of RAM, LXDE was about 65MB. I was hoping it would be a lot lighter than that, and as it stands, I'd rather use Xfce. ;)
how to do minimal?

cascade9
May 8th, 2010, 04:31 PM
how to do minimal?

Get the alternate install CD, when you get to the install screen hit 'F4', then select 'install a command line system' then when you getthe command line this is the command-

sudo apt-get install xorg gdm xfce4 xfce4-goodies

You could use xdm instead of gdm if you want. Xfce-goodies isnt really needed, it just installs extra software and artwork. ;)

ubunterooster
May 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks.

cascade9
May 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
No problem.

BTW, you might find these 2 articles interesting-

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090427#feature

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090504#feature

Tiny bit out of date, but worth a quick look ;)

ackley
May 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Hi,
If you have less than 160GB of RAM then you can install via minimal installation.

;)

PCMan
May 9th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Maybe you haven't tried the file manager. We have full gvfs support now and still kept the original performance. :-) I know that in the next release xfce 4.8 will have it, too. It's not all about RAM usage. For usability XFCE is better for now, but for speed, LXDE may excels in some areas. But the usability of LXDE and Lubuntu are continuously being improved. So stay tunned.

LaneLester
May 11th, 2010, 08:02 PM
How do I get the xfce desktop manager (the one that has all the nice options such as right-click for applications menu) to replace the Lx11 desktop manager?

There's a setting in the Preference where you activate window manager right-click menus. After I did that, the default openbox menu came up... very poorly populated, but it can be edited.

I've been using openbox in Ubuntu, and it's taking some fiddling due to different locations of things in Lubuntu.

Lane

ubunterooster
May 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I might mess with that in my other partition (the "to mess up" partition) where I try stuff out

cascade9
May 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Maybe you haven't tried the file manager. We have full gvfs support now and still kept the original performance. :-) I know that in the next release xfce 4.8 will have it, too. It's not all about RAM usage. For usability XFCE is better for now, but for speed, LXDE may excels in some areas. But the usability of LXDE and Lubuntu are continuously being improved. So stay tunned.

I did try the file manager...I'm not enough of a console user to start videos from command line LOL

Agree 100% on 'its not all about RAM usage', but in my limited expereince I didnt find LXDE to be any better than Xfce there, either.

I will have to try LXDE on a few different distros, my sample size is very limited (only debian based distros).

teejay17
May 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know if this is a "live" CD? Or is there a way to "alternate" install Lubuntu?

ubunterooster
May 12th, 2010, 01:39 PM
It's a live CD, yes

teejay17
May 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
It's a live CD, yes
How hard is it on system resources? One of the things that's great about alternate installations is that they do not use up valuable system resources displaying the desktop during the installation.

ubunterooster
May 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
for me it was one-quarter the resources of gnome, but it can vary on different computers

teejay17
May 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
for me it was one-quarter the resources of gnome, but it can vary on different computers
The live CD?

ubunterooster
May 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Final install; live was about 36% of a finished gnome install