PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Poll: Most Consecutive Upgrades

punchdrunkgrunt
May 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Simple question. How many times have you successfully upgraded *buntu without any major problems that demanded a clean install? Is there a computer out there that's gone from Warty to Lucid and never missed a beat?

To clarify:
Going, for example, 7.10=>8.04=>8.10 counts as 2. Skipping a release (e.g. 7.10=>8.10) counts as 1. Beta=>Release doesn't count. Reinstalling but keeping your old /home partition counts as a clean install. OK, maybe it's not such a simple question, but you get the idea.

I think my record is 2; 7.04=>7.10=>8.04 and then it all went to hell with 8.10. I've just gone 9.10=>10.04 but the jury is still out...problems:-(
It shouldn't be this hard. In theory an upgrade should be pretty much the same as a clean install, but it doesn't always work out like that.

Share you opinions with the class.

squaregoldfish
May 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM
One of my machines hasn't been cleaned since Dapper Drake (6.06). It's still going strong - the only thing I've had to fix on the last two upgrades is the drivers for my ancient graphics card.

infamous-online
May 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Clean installs for me although I used to do the update thing but it took way too long, so I stopped doing them. Now I just backup my data and do clean installs which take less time for me.