PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Frozen load screen when installing Ubuntu 10.04!

trevzilla
May 4th, 2010, 04:22 AM
So, my brother has been using Ubuntu for ages and he always raves about it. I tried installing 9.10 and had no luck. So I gave up then. Now 10.04 is out, and I am trying again, however running into some of the same problems. Hopefully I can get some help with them, as I REALLY want to run Ubuntu.

So, I've downloaded the ISO, and tried to do the checksums by following these directions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

and all I get is "md5sum is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Edit: I was following the linux directions instead of Windows directions. Oops! :s The MD5sum DOES match though for the ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso disc image that I downloaded.

Same thing happens with the sha5sum.

Then I've tried burning the iso file using infra recorder. I set the burn speed to 3x, however it still burns at around 22x. I can't seem to get it to burn slower!

I've also tried burning 4 seperate discs now...2 of them failed during burning, one gives me an I/O error on boot up, and the fourth ALMOST gets me somewhere...

I've also tried booting from a USB Flash drive, but apparently my BIOS doesn't support booting from flash drives.

Anyway, when I put the fourth CD into the computer, I get an Ubuntu loading screen with 5 dots that alternate from red to white. They continue to alternate for about 3 minutes, then they all turn red, and everything stops there.

I never make it to any choose language screen or login screen or anything. No options to choose ever. Just a frozen screen at 5 red dots.

Anybody else having this problem, or know of a solution to the issue? Any help would be VERY much appreciated, as I have been at this for 5 hours tonight, and I really don't want to give up again. I'm sick of windows!

Thanks so much!
Trevor

jerrrys
May 4th, 2010, 06:06 AM
how bout just getting (ordering) a free cd from ubuntu and see if that works for you

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

trevzilla
May 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Well, thank you very much for the suggestion. I am now in line for a disc to show up in the mail.

However, the disc takes 4-6 weeks to show up. I suppose I could wait if I have to, but I'd prefer not. Do you really think it is a bad burn? I'll try burning a disc on my friends computer tonight, and keep you updated.

In the meantime, any other ideas why it would freeze on installation?

Thanks!

linuxnovice
May 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hey,

Has anyone found a fix to this problem? I am getting the same problem. I'm pretty sure its not a bad burn because it worked once and now its not working.

Thanks.

trevzilla
May 24th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I never got around to updating this post...

However, in my case I think it was a bad burn. Not only was I using crummy CD's, but when I burned it on a friends computer it worked first try. I was able to burn at 6x and got it to work.

P.S. My free ubuntu disk just showed up in the mail. If you want a free disc, I suggest it! Only took 2 weeks to show up! Way less time than I thought it would!

Trevor