PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Running Unsupported?

Ron O
May 4th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Running Jaunty and it works great, but now I have to go to Lucid because Jaunty support ends 10/2010. I have tried upgrades in the past rather than fresh installs and have never been happy with the results. But a fresh install of Lucid will take me a few days to get my system working as my currently perfect installation. Luckily, this LTS version will be good for 3 years, but I will be reluctant to do it again even then.

Is there any major problem with continuing to run an unsupported update? Since Linux is supposed to be secure, what happens if you run an older installation without continuing "security updates". Are many people running unsupported versions without issues?

zvacet
May 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Running unsupported version will leave you without security updates.I don't know how smart that is.You can make separate home partition if you don't have one following this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving) guide.I believe you will have to back up your /etc too.After that you can go for clean Lucid install.

Ron O
May 4th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a much smarter plan. Thanks.