PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] I keep getting 1 error on the live_cd

WRATGUT?
May 4th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I already burned 5 copies on 2 different computers at 8x but every time when I check the disc for defects it comes out with 1 error.

QIII
May 4th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Arrgh! Has to be frustrating. I hope you don't throw things and swear like I do...

It is possible that you are repeatedly burning a faulty iso.

Did you check the md5sum on the downloaded iso before you burned it to CD?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

WRATGUT?
May 5th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I just did that and it said they are the same. And I did it on the same ISO I burned on all those CDs that I kept getting 1 error on.

I also discovered a new problem. My wireless g PCI card always worked on Ubuntu until version 10.04. And for some reason it takes even longer than 9.04 to boot up and I did a clean install. I'll just start a new thread on that so we don't get off topic.

QIII
May 5th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Does it give you any indication of the error? Some text? If it does, is it mysteriously cryptic?

(Hey, all of us developers do it, despite how hard we try to be user friendly. The message always makes perfect sense to us, you know!)

You might try burning the iso to disk on a different machine to rule out hardware error.

WRATGUT?
May 5th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I used winMd5Sum under Windows and got the MD5Sum here (http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Egilir/md5sum.txt) and it said they are the same. But when I burned the regular Ubuntu 10.04 on the same computer there were no errors and it installed perfectly fine. And I did burn Lubuntu on two different computers thinking it might be a hardware error but the same thing happened. To bad you can't buy a CD from them.

QIII
May 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
You can get a CD from them, but the wait may be a little long right now because of demand.

Free CDs are available, but they are really intended for those who really need them to be free.

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=625

£5 for a pack of 5 (about $7.50?). Hand the other 4 out to friends.

WRATGUT?
May 6th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I meant to bad you can't buy a Lubuntu CD. I know you can buy CDs for the regular Ubuntu an it's official derivatives. Lubuntu discs will probably be available for purchase on that store when it becomes an official derivative to Canonical.

QIII
May 6th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Ah...

Sorry, I didn't see Lubuntu before.

Yeah, well, buying the disk is a problem.

It might be something that will be resolved fairly soon. Apparently the is a beta -- supposedly a stable one. Maybe the iso is flawed.

Let them know you are having problems.

phillw
May 6th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I also gave up burning cd's, as i could not find a ubuntu burner that allows 4X speed, and burning at 8X was failing. I burned a dvd in the end to make the <expletive> burn slowly :-)

As you say, lubuntu is not available for sale, but if you can pay-pal me the postage and media - I'll burn and post one at cost of the blank dvd (0.20 GBP) plus whatever the postage is to anyone who is stuck.

PM me if you want me to sort you one out.

Regards,

Phill.

SILLAT
May 6th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I also gave up burning cd's, as i could not find a ubuntu burner that allows 4X speed, and burning at 8X was failing. I burned a dvd in the end to make the <expletive> burn slowly :-)

As you say, lubuntu is not available for sale, but if you can pay-pal me the postage and media - I'll burn and post one at cost of the blank dvd (0.20 GBP) plus whatever the postage is to anyone who is stuck.

PM me if you want me to sort you one out.

Regards,

Phill.

Try using a Data Cd and burn it real slow (12x)
If your using a DVD burn it real slow (2x)
Try downloading again and burn it real slow (12x)
I had to burn my Lubuntu Cd 4 times for it to work, i kept gettin errors with 2 files but it eventually worked when i burn it real slow on a data cd not music cd..
Running Lubuntu now on an old P3 256 SDram :)

phillw
May 6th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I use a usb stick for all my dev stuff, but when it comes to installing for other people, the older machines can't boot from usb. I have a minimal-iso on dvd, for those with too little RAM to use the graphic installer (last I heard was 160GB RAM was sufficient for the graphic installer, took 2.5 Hours) and also the normal lubuntu iso on dvd. As the recommended speed for burning iso's is 4X speed I'm somewhat bemused that niether xfburn nor brasero let me burn that speed in 10.04, brasero did in 9.10. For one of the other guys the opposite is true, brasero wouldn't let him use 4X speed in 9.10, but he can in 10.04 :lolflag:

We just keep smiling :p

Regards,

Phill.