PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] UBUNTU 10.04: Unlock keyring password mask symbols (****) with small font size

antitoxic
May 3rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Hello,
It's about the promt for default keyring password after ubuntu boot. I cant get a screen-shot as print-screen doesn't work at that point.
The password mask (*******) symbol font size is smaller than any other password prompt (for instance gksudo). Is it only me ?
Should I report it as a bug ?
It's a minor problem but may be it's caused from something more serious as I have other problems.
Also this dialog window (of the keyring prompt) doesn't "woble". By that I mean that the effects that I've set are not applied to this window?

antitoxic
May 4th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I managed to get a screenshot (after somehow minimizing the dialog). I'm attaching it.

I noticed one more thing:
After rebooting Ubuntu asks me for my keyring password even though I've said to save it! Though when I logout and login again it doesn't ?
It doesn't make sense.

Is it a bug ?

vaul
June 27th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Hello.

About first thing — no, this is not a bug, rather aesthetically unpleasant thing. You see, these are different application, and for some reason they draw symbols masking password entered in different ways.

I think this is to be fixed one day.

About second thing — this is really a bug and it already have been submitted.

Until this is fixed it is recommended that you enter password manually, since other workaround is to store password in plain text, which is obviously very insecure.

Other workaround for that are available on the forums, see this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1110931&page=2) for example.

Or you just could have tried searching the forums. That's not that hard, seriously.

I hope replying in a theme that old do not qualify for necrophilia, and you're subscribed to replies and will read this.

antitoxic
July 3rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hi vaul,
Good to know that i'm not going mad with this all alone.
About searching the forums - I did. When searching something that you don't know well, it's hard to choose the perfect keywords.
Thanks for the workaround link!

PS: I am wondering, is the ubuntu tested at all ? I mean this is a thing that is noticeable on the second boot. Other things like login screen resolution problem, and Plymouth loadings screen not starting after grub drives users away from ubuntu.

I know there other important issues (i guess security) but some of these things stay unfixed that for 2 or more distributions in a row. This is the "face" of ubuntu to starting users and it is not that good.

beruic
November 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
I have very small password circles / mask symbols in Maverick. It's not only in the keyrint, it's everywhere.
Is there a fix?

Update:
It's got nothing to do with my theme, it's the same in the login prompt as well.
Here's a screenshot:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1174907/Sk%C3%A6rmbillede.png