PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] clean install or upgrade?

gigaforce1111
May 3rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
hi all,
I wonder if anyone can tell me by his own experience what would be better (smoother, safer etc.)
Do a clean install, with backup of the home partition?
OR
Upgrade from the update manager?

cybrsaylr
May 3rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
I just did a clean install of Lucid and have always preferred doing a clean install to start over fresh. Lucid installed clean with no problems.

RedRat
May 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
In theory, I guess, you are supposed to be able to upgrade one version to the next. I too am facing that question with Hardy. Do I do a clean install or upgrade? The upgrade of Hardy to Lucid has not yet appeared in my Synaptic as the upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 did.

Regardless of which way I go, I expect that there will be problems with the graphics driver. I had a hellish time with my 7.10-->8.04 upgrade. I hope that this will not be the case for Lucid. Ah, but a fond hope.

jimmers
May 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Personally I always do a clean install, that way I get to clean out all the crud that I always mean to bin, I never have as many problems with install, as I have seen posted here on the forums, maybe I am just lucky, but I have used every distro since Gutsy (Apart from Karmic) with no problems, after clean install.

Your desicsion

BOL

karmicgaz
May 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM
I've just done the upgrade from karmic on my ageing laptop no problems. My only issue is a slow boot but it seems a lot of people are having that issue. Will no doubt find a fix in these forums sooner or later.

wojox
May 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Clean install +1

In theory, I guess, you are supposed to be able to upgrade one version to the next. I too am facing that question with Hardy. Do I do a clean install or upgrade? The upgrade of Hardy to Lucid has not yet appeared in my Synaptic as the upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 did.

Regardless of which way I go, I expect that there will be problems with the graphics driver. I had a hellish time with my 7.10-->8.04 upgrade. I hope that this will not be the case for Lucid. Ah, but a fond hope.

You should do a clean install as well, to get Grub2 and Ext4

gigaforce1111
May 5th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Thank you all for the replies.
You've been a great help for me.

recluce
May 5th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Clean install +1

You should do a clean install as well, to get Grub2 and Ext4

IF Grub2 and EXT4 are of any advantage to him, yes. Otherwise: use clonezilla to backup your Ubuntu partitions (root, home, whatever is part of your Hardy installation), be sure to have a Hardy Live CD on hand (just in case...) and do the upgrade.

The worst that can happen is that you will learn that an upgrade is not an easy option - in that case, just restore Hardy from your backup and take your time to evaluate your (remaining) options.