PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from UNR 9.04 to 10.04

phil7784
May 3rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
Can anyone help me upgrade from Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) 9.04 presently running on my Asus EEE PC 1000 to the new UNR 10.04? My netbook is set up now with its 180GB HDD divided into A WindowsXP partition and one for Ubuntu of 65.7 GB called /dev/sda2. This has always worked fine with a choice of OS at startup.
I downloaded the UNR 10.04 ISO file to my desktop and made the bootable USB flashdrive using unetbootin. When I boot the netbook using the flashdrive it opens the new 10.04 UNR as a live CD with the option to intall. Picking the install option there are 7 steps, the first few of which have to do with laguage, time, and keyboard layout. Where I get stuck is after step 3 the installer asks whether or not to unmount partitions that are in use now ( namely /dev/sda). So if I say “yes” then the next step is prepare disk space, with choices of either erase entire disk (destroying the XP OS) which I do NOT want to do, or “specify partitions manually”. Selecting the latter option an error message comes up saying “No root system is defined, please correct this from partitioning menu”. OK, I have no clue what to do next so I have to abort the install.
It’s probably something simple, but where do I go from here? I don’t want to screw up the Windows XP partition and OS. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.