PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just what gets upgraded?

Rebelli0us
May 3rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
The kernel gets updated anyway even if you stay with 9.10 Karmic... correct? So if you use the Update Manager to "upgrade" to Lusty Linda 10.04 LTS, do you just get the latest Gnome and other apps?

black3agl3
May 3rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
I thought it was Lucid Lynx??

dannyboy79
May 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
The kernel gets updated anyway even if you stay with 9.10 Karmic... correct? So if you use the Update Manager to "upgrade" to Lusty Linda 10.04 LTS, do you just get the latest Gnome and other apps?
it's lucid lynx and yes, your correct as far as what gets upgraded version to version. and i am not sure what the highest kernel that will be built for karmic. later kernels may be backported from lucid repo's but i don't think so. i think karmic will only contain minor revisions of kernel 2.6.31.

dino99
May 3rd, 2010, 05:40 PM

no huge differences at time, only more troubles with lucid for new comers :(

snowpine
May 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM

Karmic is "frozen" at October 2009 (only bug fixes and security patches). Lucid is "frozen" at April 2010 (only bug fixes and security patches).
So the main reason to upgrade to a new release is to get software (kernel, apps, everything) that is 6 months newer.