PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh reinstall-What to expect

Silvertones
May 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
I'm duel boot with Windows. I also have /home on a separate partition. I have the CD coming but I'm going to try the UPDATE first. Will Samba config files be left as they are? How about WVDIAL & Gnome ppp, etc.
I've also been using Firefox & Thunderbird v3 from Ubuntuzilla.
Part 2
If the update doesn't go well I'll do a new install. How do i handle the fact that /home is on another partition?
I also have the same questions as above. Any step by step for a reinstall WHEN the /home folder is on a separate partition?

Thanks

dino99
May 3rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
if you have enough free space, why not installing it without removing your others OS, so you could check about samba (some users meet issues) or else.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1467891&page=2 post 14

as you still have a /home and a swap, dont need to create them anyway

Silvertones
May 3rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks Dino99,
No space. I can deal with resetting up Samba and other stuff. It was only a couple of months ago i went from a WUBI install.
I mostly interested in what I will encounter when I put in the CD for a fresh install and how to handle the various screens. It's the fact that /home is on a separate partition that has me somewhat confused. 9.1 was my first use of Ubuntu so I've never done and update or reinstall. I'd like to have things sorted out first before I start as there's no turning back.

dino99
May 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks Dino99,
No space. I can deal with resetting up Samba and other stuff. It was only a couple of months ago i went from a WUBI install.
I mostly interested in what I will encounter when I put in the CD for a fresh install and how to handle the various screens. It's the fact that /home is on a separate partition that has me somewhat confused. 9.1 was my first use of Ubuntu so I've never done and update or reinstall. I'd like to have things sorted out first before I start as there's no turning back.

note that you can make a real test by booting on lucid live-cd or usb stick