PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot unlock screen during karmic to lucid upgrade

csp122
May 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
sorry, ex-******* user here... i think i've encountered a self-inflicted, id10t error this weekend.

using update manager, i allowed my karmic desktop at work to begin the upgrade process to lucid on friday afternoon... i ran out of time, and headed home for the weekend. somewhere along the process, the screen locked. after arriving back at work this morning, i cannot unlock the screen, or even switch users. other threads in this forum seem to indicate that i should've aborted the upgrade, but... i didn't know enough to anticipate problems, and i guess i assumed that given the lengthy estimate to complete the upgrade, i could just pickup the process again on monday.

in any case, cycling the power didn't help, so i downloaded the iso, and have booted to the 10.04 'trial'. i was hoping somebody could help guide me through resetting a password on the on-disk os from the live cd... i'm ok with reinstalling if i can preserve my account's configs & prefs.

dino99
May 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
i guess you have a separate /home

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1467891&page=2 post 14

csp122
May 3rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
hey dino99, thanks for the amazingly quick response! so, are you suggesting i reinstall 10.04 with a separate /home partition to preserve the existing user files?

dino99
May 3rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
hey dino99, thanks for the amazingly quick response! so, are you suggesting i reinstall 10.04 with a separate /home partition to preserve the existing user files?

when /home exist you are able to reformat the / (system partition) without be scary about your data