PDA

View Full Version : five things we all want to see in ubuntu

nerdy_kid
May 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
http://lifehacker.com/5355900/five-features-we-want-to-see-in-ubuntu

i like the "open in windows 7" idea. that would be sick.

Lightstar
May 3rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
I'm definitely for "Integrate dual-booting and virtualization"

I wish I could boot my Win7 into the VM window somtimes, instead of having to install a different windows in a virtual machine.

nerdy_kid
May 3rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
well i heard that you can boot an existing windows install with vbox, but it fries the install so that it can only be booted with vbox. Think its cause vbox need all the different drivers that mess it up.

MaxIBoy
May 4th, 2010, 03:21 AM
well i heard that you can boot an existing windows install with vbox, but it fries the install so that it can only be booted with vbox. Think its cause vbox need all the different drivers that mess it up.Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. (And it's not just drivers, but also partition tables.) I imagine that you could use UnionFS or AuFS to "patch" the Windows partition in realtime, but that would be really, really messy.

prions
May 4th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Game support, hopefully steam will roll out a linux client along with their mac one.

Gone fishing
May 4th, 2010, 06:27 AM
More OEMs with Ubuntu pre-installed

More users - say 25% of the OS market in desktops similar in laptops etc.

Arm smartbook with Ubuntu pre-installed (Arm notbooks I can buy rather than read about would be nice)

From this game support, better driver support more Windows apps ported to Ubuntu will follow

nerdy_kid
May 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
More OEMs with Ubuntu pre-installed

More users - say 25% of the OS market in desktops similar in laptops etc.

Arm smartbook with Ubuntu pre-installed (Arm notbooks I can buy rather than read about would be nice)

From this game support, better driver support more Windows apps ported to Ubuntu will follow

lol %25??
that wont be happening for a looong time.
+1 on the OEMs though.

MaxIBoy
May 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Game support, hopefully steam will roll out a linux client along with their mac one.They have a Linux client in the works (as you'll know if you've been following Phoronix,) but there's no guarantee they'll actually release it.

I think one thing I'd want in any Linux distro is the phasing out of pure GCC in favor of Clang and the like.

gnupipe
May 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM
game support, hopefully steam will roll out a linux client along with their mac one.

+1

jwbrase
May 4th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I've got to disagree with them on the cloud thing. It's a nice and possibly sometimes convenient feature, but the cloud is overhyped, goes against, to some degree, what the internet is all about (decentralization), and is in general not a priority for an OS to have integrated. Sure, an offsite backup is good, but you should have at least one backup that is on disks *you* control, rather than some company off somewhere on the Web. And there's certain data (banking data, etc), that I wouldn't trust to the cloud in the first place.

K.Mandla
May 5th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I can honestly say that a massive zero out of five of their ideas appealed to me. :|

MacUntu
May 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I can honestly say that a massive zero out of five of their ideas appealed to me. :|

This.

tgm4883
May 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Open in Windows 7, heh thats funny.

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30287
"Guest Additions: added support for executing guest applications from the host system"

Oh, looks like you can do that with VirtualBox 3.2

arsenic23
May 5th, 2010, 12:35 AM
It's a list of things that I feel developers are starting to put too much time in. Whooo!

DogMatix
May 5th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Just to make the install as un-hair raising as possible. Make it as easy as sticking a pasty in the microwave *Ding* your OS is ready. Loose the 'geek' tag. It doesn't need it. Its pretty much there already.

Linux OEM's selling much cheaper than an identical machine with a windows install would seriously help

cariboo
May 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Ubuntu is already way easier to install than Windows, if you want to take full advantage of your hardware. The included drivers in Win 7 are not up to snuff on some hardware.