PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Very long boot-up time

Axellink
May 3rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Hey Guys

I have installed both the Ubuntu 10.04 and the NBR version on my Toshiba NB200 Netbook but come across this annoying problem. It takes ages for the OS to boot up. I am dual booting so i select Ubuntu and then I see a cursor flashing at the top left hand corner for the next 4-5 minutes before I see the login screen.

I do not have anything connected to the Netbook and I have chose the "install Ubuntu side to side with other OS" option on set up. I only have 1 HDD which is partitioned. The weird thing is, once I've logged in, everything flies really smoothly. XP doesn't have the same issue as well.

As stated before I have tried both the NBR and the normal version and still come across the same annoying issue.

Axellink
May 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
"I just went into my BIOS and changed SATA Controller Mode to Compatibility from AHCI and viola successful boot!

I'm guessing there is a driver for AHCI which may be disabled or not loading at boot before it tries to mount / but this is just conjecture based on a similar problem with Windows installations I've had with these machines."

The above resolved my issue

MoheySaleh
May 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
thanks for posting the solution. i had the same issue and now it's solved.