PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 on playstation (PS3) Problem

Danimoth
May 3rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
I downloaded the appropriate iso for the ps3 from here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.04/release/

(specifically: ubuntu-10.04-desktop-powerpc+ps3.iso via torrent)

Installation runs smoothly up until 100% and then i am prompted to reboot.
When i click reboot, i get info on some daemons(?) shutting down(i think) and then the cd is automatically ejected and i am prompted to press enter.

So far, so good. After i hit enter though, i get a large amount of various read errors and finally a segmentation fault. The system just hangs there :/.

I forcibly reboot the PS3, and then i am greeted with the pack of errors that are shown in the screenshot.

P!X3L
May 5th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I can get into the install, however after the first couple installation screens my ps3 just hangs... :frown:

phanboi
May 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I was searching for a turoial to install lucid lynx on my ps3 when i stumbled upon this thread..

dont really wanna install anymore lol

hmm can you get into the ps3 xmb? or anything else at all?
or is it like semibricked or something..

P!X3L
May 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Well I've picked up a couple pieces of knowledge between the last post and this.
I got ubuntu 10.04 running on my ps3 by installing the petitboot bootloader. (the version for ubuntu 9.x as I was having the mount error)
then download the ALTERNATE install disc.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.04/release/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-powerpc+ps3.iso

use that to install and click through the steps.
took a while but it finished up eventually and I can boot into ubuntu no problem. :p

scc4fun
May 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I just tried installing Ubuntu on my 60GB FAT PS3 running 3.15 last night. I installed the latest petitboot from the installation instructions at psubuntu. When I restarted into Other OS with the Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) Desktop CD in the drive I was not able to see anything while connective via HDMI. I can't find the original composite cables and I don't have component cables for it (HDMI's so much easier and supports full resolution Blu-rays). It didn't seem like the PS3 was outputting anything when I restarted. I have also tried using the bootloader from the Ubuntu CD, but could not get any video output then either.

Any suggestions?

andibuntu
June 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
took a while but it finished up eventually and I can boot into ubuntu no problem. :p
How is it working for you?
I am having a hard time installing most packages because dependencies are missing.
Can you check if you see "zlib1g-dev" for example? It seems to be needed by quite some packages.