PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] make MySQL start on startup

YongQing
May 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
I run Ubuntu 10.04. For some reason, MySQL won't start on startup. How do I make it run on startup?

More info:
I installed it by installing LAMP using tasksel and did everything according to: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

Also, I have another problem:
When I try to start/stop/restart mysql in the terminal, the terminal will not give me any prompts after entering the command.
For eg, after entering "sudo service mysql start", nothing will happen. Even after waiting for 30min, nothing happens. I have no idea what's the prob.

scintilla
May 4th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I have the same problem after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04. Mysql worked fine under 9.10 but now it doesn't start automatically.
If I start it at a console using sudo start mysql, it just hangs as described above (never returns from the command)
However if I start it using sudo mysqld, then it does start and works fine - until I restart the system.

* Update * I changed the bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf back to 127.0.0.1 - this makes it work ok.
However I need the bind-address to be my server's real IP address for remote access to the database from mythtv - so problem only half way solved. Now I need to understand why mysql won't start when bind-address is set to something other than 127.0.0.1

Any ideas?

YongQing
May 5th, 2010, 01:54 AM
awesome. so i'm not the only one...

btw, if i enter "sudo mysqld", i get nothing as weel. but mysql does start up. so it's a partial win i guess

_0R10N
May 5th, 2010, 03:16 AM
What you have to do is run the following command

sudo update-rc.d mysql defaults
That will start MySQL when the system enters in any of the default runlevels
If you want to stop the automatic start of MySQL, later, then run:

sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove
Kind regards!

YongQing
May 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
What you have to do is run the following command

sudo update-rc.d mysql defaults
That will start MySQL when the system enters in any of the default runlevels
If you want to stop the automatic start of MySQL, later, then run:

sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove
Kind regards!
i get this when i update rc.d:

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/mysql missing LSB information
update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/mysql already exist.

before you replied, i already figured that the system is already configured to boot MySQL at start.

the problem is: MySQL does not start properly, as discussed with scintilla. manually starting, stopping or restarting MySQL does not give any prompts/response/progress.

TrippleDubs
May 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM
you have to just manually start mysql by using sudo mysqld

The way services start now is totally different. Not sure if update-rc.d is even relevant anymore.

In /etc/init the mysql.conf is how it boots but apparently if eth0 is not all the way up, mysql will not start

scintilla
May 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
TrippleDubs, thanks for your feedback, this could explain why mysql starts OK when the bind-address is set to 127.0.0.1 but it doesn't start when it's set to the real IP address.

It looks as if the changes to speed up the startup times have decoupled the eth0 activation from the rest of the startup - the startup scripts no longer wait for eth0 to be ready (I can see this as sometimes when I logon my IM client complains there is no internet connection).

So we await a fix to the startup. In the meantime there seem to be two workarounds:
1. set the bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf to 127.0.0.1 (this may cause problems with remote access to the mysql server)
2. start mysql manually (my suggestion was to start via sudo mysql, which then starts mysqld in background, but you can also start via sudo mysqld directly or you could start via sudo mysql& I think - this should start mysql directly as a background task)

colascdave
May 17th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I haven't figured out the startup problem, but I'm also running mythtv and fixed the bind-address problem in /etc/mysql/my.cnf by simply commenting-out the bind-address = line.

I have the same problem after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04. Mysql worked fine under 9.10 but now it doesn't start automatically.
If I start it at a console using sudo start mysql, it just hangs as described above (never returns from the command)
However if I start it using sudo mysqld, then it does start and works fine - until I restart the system.

* Update * I changed the bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf back to 127.0.0.1 - this makes it work ok.
However I need the bind-address to be my server's real IP address for remote access to the database from mythtv - so problem only half way solved. Now I need to understand why mysql won't start when bind-address is set to something other than 127.0.0.1

Any ideas?

colascdave
May 17th, 2010, 02:09 PM
OK, fixed the startup problem too from post #1 item 10 on this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1475798

change the start condition in /etc/init/mysql.conf to "start on (net-device-up IFACE=ethX)", where "X" is the interface you have mysql bound to, e.g. ETH0.

gerryg001
May 25th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Yup, this appears to be an old problem that's come back with a twist. As mentioned above, the problem is trying to start mysqld before the related network interface is up. The twist which causes some varying results is:

gerryg@taka:/var/log/mysql$ status mysql
mysql respawn/post-start, (post-start) process 1024

The process hung there is from the upstart script:

post-start script
while ! /usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=$HOME/debian.cnf ping
do
sleep 1
done
exec $HOME/debian-start
end script

If I kill process 1024, then mysqld is running with no further action. Further, "start|stop mysql" now works normally.

Otherwise, various start|stop (or the old /etc/init.d/mysql start, which now links to the new stuff anyway) may not work. Try other things and they may fail, or it may start working normally. That (and timing differences) are why some other posts have shown varying symptoms.

I really don't think you should be tying mysql to a specific network interface. If that changes for whatever reason, a year from now you'll be scratching around for whatever happened. However, the old solution of moving the startup order for mysql later in the boot may not work anymore, due to the speeded up boot process.

And, using a mysql bind address of 127.0.0.1 is not too useful if you need to reach mysqld from other machines.

I need to see if there's a better "start on (net-device-up..." that can be used here. That might be the simplest way.

sebeticus
May 31st, 2010, 10:53 PM
Has anyone solved this problem? When I bind mysql to a real IP address, this problem occurs. mysql will not start on boot nor will it start when I try to manually start it with sudo /etc/init.d mysql start or with sudo service mysql start. With etc/init.d/mysql the command executes but mysqld doesn't start. With service start mysql, it just hangs forever but never starts. This is a pain. Any help?

gerryg001
June 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Several things can cause this. Check colascdave post for a workaround on mysqld trying to start before the network is ready.

From what you gave, there may be a service process hung, as I described earlier. Try starting:

sudo mysqld &
and see if it will start and work. If not, check your IP in /etc/mysql/my.cnf. If an IP, verify it's valid. If a name, make sure either your router or /etc/hosts provides the IP.

Check for existence of /var/run/mysql/mysqld.sock. This is created by mysqld daemon when it runs. Check pgrep -l mysql.

Be aware that
sudo /etc/init.d mysql start will actually invoke
sudo service mysql start in Lucid so they are not two different ways to start mysql.

I now have several servers running with that workaround from colascdave. Not pretty, but it works reliably. In each case, my my.cnf bind-address is the machine name and external access to mysql is working.

kainos
July 26th, 2010, 02:54 PM
There is a bug report here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/610085

gerryg001
July 26th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Thank you for mentioning that, kainos. I added more detail to that bug report.

v1ad
July 26th, 2010, 05:11 PM
this is what i do.

sudo apt-get install chkconfig

chkconfig mysql on

gerryg001
July 26th, 2010, 06:20 PM
v1ad, there are several possible issues that can prevent the mysqld daemon from running at boot. Any solution is only good for the particular problem it addresses, and you need to understand both the problem and how you are trying to solve it. If you read the chkconfig man page:

chkconfig is used to manipulate the runlevel links at boot time

This is similar to sysv-rc-conf. If I try your approach on my system:

The script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart job, but lsb-header is not supported for Upstart jobs.
insserv: warning: script 'mysql' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!

If you are running earlier than Lucid 10.04, the results would differ. Here, we have the interaction with upstart. In my Lucid system, chkconfig shows "mysql off", yet mysql does start at boot and is running.

I suspect your system simply never flagged mysql to start at boot, due to some error during installation. Using either chkconfig or sysv-rc-conf would correct this, but have no bearing on the other issues raised here.

kainos
July 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Thank you for mentioning that, kainos. I added more detail to that bug report.

Thanks!! I just filed that this AM after spending a couple hours getting a temporary workaround.