PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ASUS X58C with SIS drives and wide screen

ex-para
May 3rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
I have a ASUS X58C with SIS drives and wide screen and about eighteen months ago I installed Ubuntu 8.04 as I have on other laptops but could never get the resolution I needed as there was only two choices both no good. I tried for weeks to get over this problem but never did. I now wonder if maybe it might be possible as now other people have had my problem and overcome it. If so I would be pleased to know how.

dekoderek
May 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Much more on sis in ubuntu is in http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=958967 - check out last pages (from abou 38), it's on 10.04.

BTW, I got my new laptop a couple of days ago, installed ubuntu and also have 800x600 (or 1024x768 on vesa) but some people did manage to get it working.

ex-para
May 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the replies, plenty of information to go at although I have seen some of it last time round but there is still a lot more for me to go into. I tried Knoppix Adriane on the computer in question and I got the correct resolution plus the sound was working when other Linux systems did not. Adrian was also working from a USB so how come Adriane worked with SIS but no other and I tried a lot. I would like to get Ubuntu to work as I think it has the edge on most Linux systems so I will just keep trying and I have patience as I have spent about a year trying to turn a spare laptop into a server and I have only just succeeded.