PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GUI taking long time to load

reptilezone2002
May 3rd, 2010, 05:16 AM
in ubuntu 10.04 After logging in t All I had was the wallpaper & my widgets for around a minute, and then the usual upper and lower panels appeared.. didnt had this problem in 9.10

plz help

SnickerSnack
May 3rd, 2010, 06:49 AM
I don't know a whole lot about gnome, but I can list what I would try, so you can try that in the meantime until someone with more knowledge comes along. (After each step, either log in and log out, if that was getting the error before, or you may need to restart each time.)

1. Disable all special desktop effects: System > Preferences > Appearance, then click the "Visual Effects" tab, then click the "none" option.
1.1. Possibly unnecessary, but try it anyway if step 1 has no effect: uninstall Compiz if you have it installed.
2. Go into Synaptic and reinstall gnome.
2.1. Reinstall everything that seems gnome related.
3. Install xfce and/or kde. Log out and look at the panel at the bottom of the screen. There should be a "sessions" option; set it to another desktop environment, and log in. Same problem? Try this with the other DE.

Edit: was this a clean install or an upgrade from 9.10?

Dimarchi
May 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
I have the same the same problem as reptilezone2002. Clean install. Haven't yet really looked into it, just waiting for 30 seconds or so staring at the purplegasm wallpaper until the desktop appears after manual login (provided it hasn't frozen at login...another new feature I have encountered. :) Due to my wireless mouse, methinks. Or Ati fglrx drivers. Or something.). Visual effect switcharoo does not affect the process. Home folder encrypted.

So you're not alone, reptilezone2002! ;)

reptilezone2002
May 4th, 2010, 05:55 AM
i have reformatted & install fresh but the problem is still there & in live cd 2. but its not there in 9.10 &...

i have 2GB ram & 300vga 2.25 intel dual core

reptilezone2002
May 4th, 2010, 05:56 AM
yes so many people have the same problem i have searched in forums