PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I boot to a command prompt in 10.04?

eddyjackson
May 3rd, 2010, 04:41 AM
Is it possible to prevent X from starting on boot and just give me a CLI?

akand074
May 3rd, 2010, 04:52 AM
Umm Ctrl+Alt+F1 should bring you right into the command line on boot. Also you can try this:

sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove

or edit the /etc/inittab file to boot into CLI instead of your desktop environment. Though I don't know very much on the topic.

eddyjackson
May 3rd, 2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the tips, but "sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove" doesn't work in recent versions and I don't even have a /etc/inittab file.

The only thing I've been able to do is comment out the following line from the /etc/init/gdm.conf file:

exec gdm-binary $CONFIG_FILE

It still seems to start X, and display an ubuntu splash screen. I wish I could figure out how to stop it before that and just have it dump me to a console login.

akand074
May 3rd, 2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the tips, but "sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove" doesn't work in recent versions and I don't even have a /etc/inittab file.

The only thing I've been able to do is comment out the following line from the /etc/init/gdm.conf file:

exec gdm-binary $CONFIG_FILEIt still seems to start X, and display an ubuntu splash screen. I wish I could figure out how to stop it before that and just have it dump me to a console login.

oh what about this:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

and find this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”

change it to this

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash text”

then

sudo update-grub

let me know how that works.

eddyjackson
May 9th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Thank you! That worked smashingly.