PDA

View Full Version : How to identify the architecture ?

gborzi
March 19th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Maybe this question is quite dumb, but I'm new to AMD64 programming. I have the following C++ code:

template<typename T> class array {
public:
typedef T baseT;
typedef _array_iter< array<T> > iterT;
array() : n_(0), data_(0) {}
array( size_t n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
array( int n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
// array( unsigned int n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
array( unsigned short n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
array( unsigned char n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
template<typename U> array( U rhs ) : n_(0), data_(0) {
rhs.assign(*this);
}
};

on 32-bit architectures the constructors taking size_t and unsigned int are the same because size_t is actually an unsigned int on them. So I need to comment out one of the two.
But on 64-bit architectures size_t is not an unsigned int, so I need both constructors. For example, without the constructor with unsigned int with a code such as

unsigned int n = 10; array<double> v(n);

the compiler will try to apply the last constructor ( template<typename U> array( U rhs ) )
and will issue an error.
Is there some macro that identify the architecture, so that I can write the same code for both architectures, i.e. something like:
template<typename T> class array {
public:
typedef T baseT;
typedef _array_iter< array<T> > iterT;
array() : n_(0), data_(0) {}
array( size_t n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
array( int n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
#ifdef <macro for 64-bit>
array( unsigned int n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
#endif
array( unsigned short n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
array( unsigned char n ) : n_(n) { data_ = new T[n_]; }
template<typename U> array( U rhs ) : n_(0), data_(0) {
rhs.assign(*this);
}
};

I know I can modify the makefile so as to define a macro that does the trick, but I would like to have the same code and makefile. Moreover, I think that there should be some macro already defined.

Thanks in advance for your help.

LordHunter317
March 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM
You have two options: Pick a datatype and use it consistently. In otherwise, ignore the fact that unsigned int and size_t are the same on x86 and pretend they aren't. Use size_t everywhere you must construct the object. This has its pros and cons: one thing to note is that if you write these objects out to disk in anywhere in binary form that the format will not be the same for both arches. Define via a macro a common datatype. Hunting around in the GCC manual should show you how, as I forget off hand. This also has its pros and cons.

In either case, the declaration of the class shouldn't change based on architecture. IOW, if you're changing what constructors are included via #if/#else/#endif, your approach is wrong.

hod139
March 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I'm assuming you are using GCC, and they define _LP64 which

These macros are defined, with value 1, if (and only if) the compilation is for a target where long int and pointer both use 64-bits and int uses 32-bit.

For a full list of predefined GCC macros on your machine you can type:
touch foo.h; cpp -dM foo.h
assuming of course that foo.h doesn't exist.

For instance, on my Athlon64 I get the following 64-bit related macros pre-defined
#define __x86_64 1
#define __x86_64__ 1
#define _LP64 1
#define __LP64__ 1
#define __amd64 1
But, if the manual is any guide, the only one you can trust across various architectures is _LP64.

Also, these macros won't work on another compiler, say MVC, as it will have its own set of predefined macros.

gborzi
March 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks a lot, hod139. You have solved my problem.

One last question. How can I close this thread ?