PDA

View Full Version : Status popups - some kind of cruel joke??

skorange
May 3rd, 2010, 03:32 AM
I'm on day 2 with Lucid and so far so good. I really like it, and it's a testament to it's polished nature that the things that bother me are mostly minor annoyances. The purple splash screen is still growing on me.

One annoyance however has been driving me crazy. When receiving an email, or a instant message, or twitter message, or anything that causes a popup in the upper right corner, why oh why does the message blur when I move my pointer to focus on it??? When one such message comes in and I don't care, I simply continue what I'm doing knowing that the popup will disappear a moment later. When I want to know more about it (say, an important sounding email comes in) the most intuitive action is to move to it and click it. But, not only does it not provide a link to "more" by clicking on it, it fades just as i get to it! Like some sick "catch me if you can" prank. Like wack a mole, it disappears just before getting to it, then returns when I move away.

The worst part is, no matter how often I'm tricked, a new message will always come in, and I will find myself ever reaching for that unattainable box...

skorange
May 3rd, 2010, 03:36 AM
/rant.

I do feel a little better now :) That said, when you run into something like this, what do you do? do you guys write these up as bugs/feature requests when you encounter them?

wilee-nilee
May 3rd, 2010, 03:41 AM
/rant.

I do feel a little better now :) That said, when you run into something like this, what do you do? do you guys write these up as bugs/feature requests when you encounter them?

That main pop-up in the right corner can be manipulated but it means going into the files structure to do so. It is a pretty setup program though, but there are a couple of threads on manipulating how and where it shows itself.

Most of the things you mention can have the notification turned off by going to the preferences of each single one.

Hey you didn't seem like you were ranting but it helps to vent sometimes. ;)

Merk42
May 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
I'm on day 2 with Lucid and so far so good. I really like it, and it's a testament to it's polished nature that the things that bother me are mostly minor annoyances. The purple splash screen is still growing on me.

One annoyance however has been driving me crazy. When receiving an email, or a instant message, or twitter message, or anything that causes a popup in the upper right corner, why oh why does the message blur when I move my pointer to focus on it??? When one such message comes in and I don't care, I simply continue what I'm doing knowing that the popup will disappear a moment later. When I want to know more about it (say, an important sounding email comes in) the most intuitive action is to move to it and click it. But, not only does it not provide a link to "more" by clicking on it, it fades just as i get to it! Like some sick "catch me if you can" prank. Like wack a mole, it disappears just before getting to it, then returns when I move away.

The worst part is, no matter how often I'm tricked, a new message will always come in, and I will find myself ever reaching for that unattainable box...

On the plus side, you've described how GNOME Shell's notifications work

FuturePilot
May 3rd, 2010, 04:12 AM
The notifications are not meant to be clickable. They fade when you move your mouse near them so you can see what's underneath. You can even click right through them. They're not supposed to be interactive, just notifications.

skorange
May 4th, 2010, 03:41 AM
:)

Genius314
May 4th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I think they should be click-able. I understand that they disappear so that they don't interfere with anything the user is doing... however, the only thing I could imagine having to do in the upper-right corner would be to close a window - but that's not so much of a problem anymore, seeing as the controls are on the left now.

Sam
May 4th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I think they should be click-able. I understand that they disappear so that they don't interfere with anything the user is doing... however, the only thing I could imagine having to do in the upper-right corner would be to close a window - but that's not so much of a problem anymore, seeing as the controls are on the left now.

This has been discussed to death. Read the specifications (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD)!

witeshark17
May 4th, 2010, 05:03 AM
If it's like the 9.10 version, it's just cool! :popcorn: