PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 install problems

yeklef
May 3rd, 2010, 03:14 AM
I recently installed 9.10, and when I was looking for information on it I realized that 10.04 had come out. I then went to delete 9.10, instead of uninstalling it. Now my computer thinks that 9.10 is still on it.

Some details. I put 9.10 on it's own hard drive (if it makes a difference, it is an actual physical hard drive, not a partition). I was having trouble with my usb booting, so I used the install inside of Windows option. I then proceeded to reformat that hard drive in preparation to install 10.04. I am guessing there are registry keys that need to get deleted, or something similar. I went to the add/remove programs in the control panel, but that didn't help.

Also, when I turn my computer on, Ubuntu is still a dual boot option, it just doesn't do much. When i try to boot to Ubuntu it says something about sh-grub, or ch-grub. After looking through some of these forums, i realize that might be important, but I can't get more information on that til later.

Thanks for any help

yeklef
May 3rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Can anyone help me with this?

P4man
May 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
You still have grub (grub for dos if you did a wubi) bootloader on the (windows) harddrive. Thats not a big problem. If you are going to install ubuntu 10.04, it will overwrite it with a new grub and restore the dual boot.

yeklef
May 4th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks p4man, your information helped me get past the windows thinking ubuntu was installed problem, but now i can't get unetbootin-windows-436.exe to work correctly. I get to file 9/161 with 9.10, and 10/187 with 10.04. I also for the life of me can't get my pc to boot from a usb drive. I have tried two different usb drives. I have an emachines t3410. So far as I know, the only new hardware is an extra ide hard drive that I put in just for Ubuntu. So when i try to install from usb boot I get nowhere.

When i try to install it in Windows (would rather have it separate, but can live with this), it gets through a portion of the install process, and then tries to download the iso to install from, even though I used the iso that I have already downloaded to make the usb drive to install from.

So for now I am going to download the iso's again, and try again tomorrow. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

P4man
May 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks p4man, your information helped me get past the windows thinking ubuntu was installed problem, but now i can't get unetbootin-windows-436.exe to work correctly. I get to file 9/161 with 9.10, and 10/187 with 10.04. I also for the life of me can't get my pc to boot from a usb drive. I have tried two different usb drives. I have an emachines t3410. So far as I know, the only new hardware is an extra ide hard drive that I put in just for Ubuntu. So when i try to install from usb boot I get nowhere.

What happens when you try? I assume you can download and run unetbootin, right? If not, get it here:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

You may want to verify the iso download is not corrupted by running an md5 checksum:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM%20on%20Windows
(if you used bittorrent to download the iso, you can probably skip this step as it does its own verification).

Then as for making the PC boot from usb.. you;ll probably have to change boot settings in the bios, and I have no idea how to do that for your machine. It might even not do it, I googled on your machine but the manual isnt exactly helpful here.

If the machine has no options oo boot from usb, you may want to create a ubuntu CD instead.

if the machine can boot from usb and is set up to do so, but still fails, it could be the usb stick(s) that have u3 installed on it. That is the case with most (all?) sandisk (cruzer) and verbatim sticks and many others. Have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

If you have such a "malware infected" stick, you have to remove it first using this tool:
http://www.u3.com/support/#CQ3

yeklef
May 4th, 2010, 05:12 PM
What happens when you try? I assume you can download and run unetbootin, right? If not, get it here:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I have installed and used unetbootin. I did initially get 9.10 installed inside windows via unetbootin. When I tried to install 9.10 with it this time, it would get to the second step, and it would hang on file 9 out of 161. When I try with 10.04 it hangs on file 10 out of 187. But since I initially did get 9.10 to work, I am totally confused as to why it isn't working now.

You may want to verify the iso download is not corrupted by running an md5 checksum:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM%20on%20Windows
(if you used bittorrent to download the iso, you can probably skip this step as it does its own verification).

I am just going to download the iso's again (I can't work on it again until tomorrow night, so i have plenty of time). I will do a checksum as well when I get them.

Then as for making the PC boot from usb.. you;ll probably have to change boot settings in the bios, and I have no idea how to do that for your machine. It might even not do it, I googled on your machine but the manual isnt exactly helpful here.

If the machine has no options oo boot from usb, you may want to create a ubuntu CD instead.

if the machine can boot from usb and is set up to do so, but still fails, it could be the usb stick(s) that have u3 installed on it. That is the case with most (all?) sandisk (cruzer) and verbatim sticks and many others. Have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

If you have such a "malware infected" stick, you have to remove it first using this tool:
http://www.u3.com/support/#CQ3[/

I think the usb booting problems might be my computer as opposed to the drive. I have gotten other drives to boot on it before, but not lately. For now I think I will just install it inside windows. Then I can take the time to learn it a little, and install it seperate later.

So, to make sure I understand everything correctly, I have basically been using unetbootin to turn my usb drive into an installer. I then run wubi.exe from the usb drive to install ubuntu.

I have been reformatting my usb drive inbetween attempts, and I have periodically reformated the partition that Ubuntu will be getting installed on.

P4man
May 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I think the usb booting problems might be my computer as opposed to the drive. I have gotten other drives to boot on it before, but not lately

Does it have the option to boot from USB? Or a bios boot menu where you can select USB ? If so, its seems unlikely its the PC, but I would check the sticks for U3. You can always try the stick on a different machine see if it makes a difference.

So, to make sure I understand everything correctly, I have basically been using unetbootin to turn my usb drive into an installer. I then run wubi.exe from the usb drive to install ubuntu.
Yes, that sounds correct.

I have been reformatting my usb drive inbetween attempts, and I have periodically reformated the partition that Ubuntu will be getting installed on.

When you use wubi, you dont need to make or prepare partitions, as wubi will install inside your ntfs partition. it doesnt hurt to put it on a different though, but its not needed.

Anyway, Im no wubi fan, as it has serious limitations (no suspend/hibernate, problematic to recover if something goes wrong, dependent on windows, hard if not impossible to resize partitions after install, etc) but if its just to get a feel for it before doing a proper install, then I guess its not a bad plan.

yeklef
May 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM
does unetbootin make the usb drive bootable? Or just allow you to use it as an install disk. Could I make a different partition bootable, and then install from that to the drive that i want ubuntu in?

My thinking on this is that i currently have 4 partitions, windows and it's recovery partition on one hard drive, and then a smaller hard drive with 2 partitions on it. Could i use unetbootin to make the smaller partition bootable, and then install to the other partition on that hard drive?

P4man
May 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
does unetbootin make the usb drive bootable? Or just allow you to use it as an install disk.

It makes it bootable

Could I make a different partition bootable, and then install from that to the drive that i want ubuntu in?

My thinking on this is that i currently have 4 partitions, windows and it's recovery partition on one hard drive, and then a smaller hard drive with 2 partitions on it. Could i use unetbootin to make the smaller partition bootable, and then install to the other partition on that hard drive?

I dont think with unetbootin. But its an interesting question, and I suppose it has to be possible to install grub from windows, then use grub to boot an iso on your harddisk (or the usb stick).

I have no experience with it, but have a look here:
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

yeklef
May 6th, 2010, 12:27 AM
It has been an annoying day and a half with ubuntu. I made a bootable cd after work, but it doesn't work :( I used infra recorder. It tries to boot from it, but it says there is an error on the cd, and asks me to reboot it.

I am using unetbootin on my usb again. It gets to the 10th step and then almost stalls (turns out it is a huge file). It ends up taking a few minutes. Once I got it made again, i tried to run wubi, but it just beeped at me, and didn't do anything. Right now I am using unetbootin to make it again.

I did a md5 checksum (i think that is what it was called) on my iso to verify my download, it matched.

At this moment I am running unetbootin again, in case something got goofed up with it.

yeklef
May 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Something finally went right. I got wubi to install, and it downloaded another iso (even though i already had one) and got to the point where it said to reboot. However, when I rebooted it only got to 58% installed, and then it hung.

yeklef
May 7th, 2010, 01:22 AM
MORE PROGRESS!!!! YEAH!!!!!

New problems :( BOO!!!!

Okay, I rebooted my computer this afternoon, and it installed again, and got all the way done !!!!! :)

But when i started running it, it went very slow.

So thanks to P4man for all your help. It was very useful. If you have any ideas for this, I look forward to them, but since it is a new problem, I will probably start a new thread when i get more time next week.

nooblica
May 16th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hi im new to ubuntu and i have some problems installing. When i try to install it stops on step 3 (keyboard) cd drive simply stops, hd looks like is working but nothing happens? Did anyone had this problem? Please help. Thanks

P4man
May 16th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I have no idea what step 3 is ? But if the cd doesnt boot in to a gui, and you are sure the CD is correctly burnt from a verified ISO, then you may want to check your bios for a setting called AHCI for your cd/dvd drive, and disable it (sometimes also called "ide compatibility").

You can also try pressing a key when the keyboard logo comes up at the bottom, and play around with the options you have there, most notably "nomodeset" (using F6) and disable splash.