PDA

View Full Version : not urgent archive manager question

searchfgold6789
May 3rd, 2010, 02:42 AM
Has anyone noticed any sound quality reduction when compressing WAV files with the archive manager, burning them to a CD, and then listening? Just a quick opinion or technical statement would be nice.
:popcorn:

cariboo
May 3rd, 2010, 02:46 AM
Any time you compress something you're going to lose quality, as some of the bits get left out.

barthel
May 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Any time you compress something you're going to lose quality, as some of the bits get left out.

Technically, that's only true of "lossy" compression. There are compression algorithms that don't lose any data.

So it all depends on what method of compression you used on the original data.

FuturePilot
May 4th, 2010, 03:17 PM
We're not talking about transcoding wav into a lossy format. We're talking about archiving them with File Roller with some sort of compression; zip, gzip, bzip etc. None of those discard data. Otherwise they would extremely inefficient for backups.

MaxIBoy
May 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
No, file-roller only does lossless compression.

If you are playing back directly from the archive, *maybe* the decompression speed will be slow enough to make your media player a bit jumpy? Especially since CDs are so slow anyway. Seems extremely unlikely, but try extracting it *before* playing and your problem may go away.

I think the sound of your CD drive is causing you to perceive lower quality, that's the most likely explanation.

searchfgold6789
May 5th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I am not experiencing any problems (thus i posted in the cafe)