PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing UBUNTU on a device running Windows CE

jadi929
May 3rd, 2010, 02:00 AM
Is it possible? Here are the specs:

processor: SIRF Atlas 4 500MHZ
65 mb ram
Current OS: Microsoft Window CE Net 6.0 Core

Link to product: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250594367859&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Its supposed to be a GPS but i think it would be pretty cool if this thing could somehow run Ubuntu since it runs on Windows CE.

So, whadya say?

techunit
May 3rd, 2010, 02:02 AM
Um well you won't be able to run Ubuntu.. I will check and see if Lubuntu will work.

oleink
May 3rd, 2010, 02:03 AM
check out ubuntu mid

techunit
May 3rd, 2010, 02:09 AM
No pretty no version of Ubuntu would run on a system with those requirements. Ubuntu needs more ram than that has to install. Also, you probably couldn't access the bios or the boot menu. I would look at the touchbook if you wan't a touch screan linux pc.

techunit
May 3rd, 2010, 02:11 AM
check out ubuntu mid

He probably won't be able to access a boot menu.

Also the system requirements for Ubuntu MID aren't met by the specified system specs.

jadi929
May 3rd, 2010, 02:34 AM
No pretty no version of Ubuntu would run on a system with those requirements. Ubuntu needs more ram than that has to install. Also, you probably couldn't access the bios or the boot menu. I would look at the touchbook if you wan't a touch screan linux pc.

aww ok, what exactly is the ram requirement btw?

also, wat touchbook are we talking about here?

snowpine
May 3rd, 2010, 02:36 AM

512mb is the recommended minimum.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

kamikazepsi
May 3rd, 2010, 02:41 AM
if you're looking for a cheap mobile ubuntu machine, look into a refurbished netbook. i bought an asus for $170 shipped and it runs really well on ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04.

techunit
May 3rd, 2010, 04:41 AM
I think he is looking for a tablet computer that runs linux... for one of that nature look at a refurbished/used Nokia N810. It runs Maemo 4 linux and It is more powerful than that tablet gps thing...

techunit
May 3rd, 2010, 04:44 AM
always inovating touchbook it runs linux and is pretty customizable... I think it sells for $300

jadi929
May 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM
thanks for the help guys, I can get a similar item like that with a 600mhz processor, but i'm guessing it will still be difficult to get linux on it. anyway, looks like i'll stick to windows ce for now :D

oleink
May 3rd, 2010, 09:55 PM

also, wat touchbook are we talking about here?

256mb for ubuntu mid. Sorry I didn't realize you didn't have that much ram

oleink
May 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
thanks for the help guys, I can get a similar item like that with a 600mhz processor, but i'm guessing it will still be difficult to get linux on it. anyway, looks like i'll stick to windows ce for now :D

Check this out its pretty sweet. Android and Windows CE don't work too well on it though but you were looking for Ubuntu so!

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32827