PDA

View Full Version : Most stable version Xubuntu for a "newbie"?

judge jankum
May 3rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
Which version of Xubuntu is the most stable? I'm using 8.04 and it seems great, but I'm doing this puter for someone else. So your in put is much appreciated.:D

andrewabc
May 3rd, 2010, 01:26 AM
Try 10.04...

It all depends on the hardware and what the user wants to do.

snowpine
May 3rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
8.04 is very stable by now, but the applications are 2 years out of date, and there is only 1 year of support left (it ends April 2011).

10.04 is less stable, but it is up to date software-wise and will be supported through April 2013. It will become more stable over the coming months as bug fixes and security patches are released through the Update Manager.

XubuRoxMySox
May 3rd, 2010, 01:36 AM
I would stick with 8.04 until Lucid has had a chance to shake out the bugs! There's still a year of life left to it, so no hurry. And it certainly shouldn't take a whole year for Xubuntu Lucid to finally be truly ready.

Tried it and went back to karmic,
Robin

koleoptero
May 3rd, 2010, 02:11 AM
10.04 is very stable as far as I've seen so you can easily go with that. The xubuntu team didn't change almost anything since the last version so everything works well.

murderslastcrow
May 3rd, 2010, 02:38 AM
Yeah, XFCE4 is nice because it's a lot like Firefox- extensible, customizable, and there aren't any huge changes that'll offset familiarity. I don't see Xfce changing a lot in the future, except with speed improvements. I can't imagine why they would need to make an XFCE5, unless they need a new version to take advantage of GTK 3, 4, of 5's features.

Haha. Gnome 5. I wonder what that'll be like.

XubuRoxMySox
May 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
The xubuntu team didn't change almost anything since the last version so everything works well.

Karmic did not ship with PulseAudio (nor Mono, for those who care about that). Lucid does. I can't get sound to work at all on Lucid, and it was perfect in Karmic. OpenOffice has been replaced with Abiword and Gnumeric (good call), to make room for other unnecessary bloat, in my opinion.

It's still gorgeous, still fast, still has all the wonderful Xfce elegance. But in my opinion, it was rushed to release too soon, and they could have done without corrupting it with PulseAudio. I would hardly call that "not changing almost anything."

Back to Karmic,
Robin

ugm6hr
May 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
I have just installed Xubuntu 10.04 on 3 computers - 1 desktop and 2 netbooks.

Firefox seems to have graphical glitches from time to time on my netbook - not sure if this is FF specific due to heavy scrolling use, or graphics driver related.

Otherwise, I've found it very stable.

If you are intending to install 10.04 in the near future - do it on your computer first and then for someone else. Otherwise, install what you know.

judge jankum
May 4th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Just installed 10.04 on one puter and 8.04 on 2.....All work fantastic......But the big gripe i'm getting on 10.04 is it dosn't have all the "games" 8.04 had.....:( What a thing to get cussed out for LMAO!!!!

Irihapeti
May 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Thunar (the file manager) has a highly annoying bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/+bug/520118).

arthurjohnson
May 4th, 2010, 05:00 AM
8.04 is very stable by now, but the applications are 2 years out of date, and there is only 1 year of support left (it ends April 2011).

10.04 is less stable, but it is up to date software-wise and will be supported through April 2013. It will become more stable over the coming months as bug fixes and security patches are released through the Update Manager.

Xfce 4.8 is where its at, go 10.04