PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No video playback after installing VLC on Lucid

Superdarion
May 3rd, 2010, 12:21 AM
Well, everything was fine. I could use mplayer to watch movies and youtube played perfectly. Then I decided to install VLC using the software center.

Now I can play video on VLC, but I hear no sound. I can't play video from youtube (no sound and video doesn't advance, even though it's downloaded). Mplayer doesn't do nothing; no sound, no video. Music thru amarok and pretty much anything else works fine.

Again, all that worked fine until I installed VLC.

I have checked all volumes and they're fine. I also tried uninstalling VLC (again from the Software Center) and doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Biddlesby
May 5th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I had this problem. The solution for me was to go to Tools > Preferences > Video and change the output to X11.

Superdarion
May 5th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Oh man! I found that solution a few hours after I wrote the post, but then I couldn't find it to post it and mark it Solved!

I just thought it wasn't posted at all!

Thanks for the message, though. That did work for me too.

Blupp
May 17th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Oh man! I found that solution a few hours after I wrote the post, but then I couldn't find it to post it and mark it Solved!

I just thought it wasn't posted at all!

Thanks for the message, though. That did work for me too.
How did you fix it? I have tried the X11 suggestion by Biddlesby but it did not work. I'm using KDE and have sound with Kaffine and Dragon Player but not with VLC.