PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Receiving updates in 10.04

Georgia boy
May 2nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
I've searched but didn't see anything on this. I checked and I have everything properly ticked for both the updates and the repos. But, this morning I didn't receive any notification of a couple of updates. I found out by clicking on the update manager in admin. In Hardy I always had a symbol at the top pane letting me know when an update was available. Has this been changed in Lucid?

One other question concerns TB. Now when I open it I automatically have my emails downloaded without having to click on the Get mail button. Am I the only one having this oddity with TB? If not has anyone got an idea how to stop it? Tried the TB help and questions but looks like it had been going on for some time now with no answers back on their questions.

Other than this, I'm really enjoy Lucid. Windows free!!!!! Ooooops got to go and update my info on my signature etc to reflect this.:oops:

Thanks

Tom

Temposs
May 2nd, 2010, 11:41 PM
The method of notifying about updates has changed starting in Ubuntu 9.04. Ubuntu checks for updates automatically as usual. If there are updates, there is no longer any icon regarding them. Instead, Ubuntu pops up the Update Manager for you automatically.

If there are Security/Critical updates, Ubuntu will open Update Manager for you at most once per day. If there are no Security/Critical updates but only Recommended updates, Ubuntu will only open Update Manager once per week.

The idea is that you don't want to be always bothered with updates whenever they are detected, which could be multiple times per day, but instead having the Update Manager come up for you on a regular basis with the accumulated updates.

Georgia boy
May 3rd, 2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks Temposs. Was so used to the Hardy setup on update notification. Thought that maybe somehow I had screwed something up somehow when I got the two updates this morning and didn't see anything at top notifying me about the updates. Kind of miss those two icons. Oh well, things change as things improve right? Just hope that all is for the better.
Thanks for setting me straight on this. Now, if I could only figure out how to stop TB from automatically downloading the emails once I sign in.

Have a good one of what's left of the weekend!!

Thanks

Tom

Orographic
May 3rd, 2010, 04:27 AM
I have hardly had any updates yet for Lucid, is that the same for everyone else?

Temposs
May 3rd, 2010, 04:28 AM
Yes, it's the weekend, and they just pushed an LTS release...give 'em a break...

Expect many updates through the coming week.

Orographic
May 3rd, 2010, 04:35 AM
Quite happy for them to take a month, if they need it, I was just curious.

Forgot it was weekend over that way as its Monday afternoon here.

Temposs
May 3rd, 2010, 04:43 AM
I know there are some Canonical folks in Boston, USA, and some in England. The folks in England maybe waking up soon for their Monday work day ;-)

Georgia boy
May 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I was curious this morning if we had any updates or not in Lucid so I clicked on the update manager just to see what would happen. Odd, said that system was updated less than an hour ago. Don't know if that's right or if it meant that it had checked and didn't find any updates. Personally I miss the red arrow and the orange wheel(or whatever it was) in Hardy letting us know that there were updates of some sort. Now, I don't really know what to expect from Lucid on this as far as what the notifications will look like.

Has there been any updates to Lucid yet? I installed Saturday night and had received two when I had clicked the update manager but don't know if anything else has happened or not.

Thanks everyone

Tom

Temposs
May 4th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Nope, no updates yet. The only thing that will happen is that when there are updates, the update manager will eventually pop up automatically. You don't have to do anything to check or open it.

Zintha
May 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I was curious this morning if we had any updates or not in Lucid so I clicked on the update manager just to see what would happen. Odd, said that system was updated less than an hour ago. Don't know if that's right or if it meant that it had checked and didn't find any updates. Personally I miss the red arrow and the orange wheel(or whatever it was) in Hardy letting us know that there were updates of some sort. Now, I don't really know what to expect from Lucid on this as far as what the notifications will look like.

Has there been any updates to Lucid yet? I installed Saturday night and had received two when I had clicked the update manager but don't know if anything else has happened or not.

Thanks everyone

Tom

It saying it was updated less than an hour ago is misworded a little.
It gives the idea that it updated, not that it was just up to date and it checked an hour ago and found no updates.

Georgia boy
May 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks Temposs and Zintha. Was just wondering. Lucid is taking a little while to get used to after having used Hardy for almost two years.

The Software Center is fun to get used to also. I remember in Hardy that when I downloaded the Open Clip Art there was just one to choose from. I was thinking about getting that again in Lucid. There are some great clips there. But, when I went to check here in Lucid I noticed that there are about four selections to choose from. The Library, ping, SVG and one more. Guess I might go with Library. Don't know for sure yet. Another weekend project. Also will have to choose one of the weather ones too. In Hardy I only had the one, Lucid gives plenty to choose from for weather too. Kind of nice to have so many choices but also decisions-decisions.

Again, thanks for the information. Always learning, which is one of the reasons I chose to stay with Ubuntu instead of Windows. At least I have plenty of help if needed here. Never had anyone put down like I've seen happen in other forums that I've visited years ago.

Have a great day everyone!!
Off to work I go.

Tom

flyfishingphil
May 4th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks Temposs and Zintha. Was just wondering. Lucid is taking a little while to get used to after having used Hardy for almost two years.

The Software Center is fun to get used to also. I remember in Hardy that when I downloaded the Open Clip Art there was just one to choose from. I was thinking about getting that again in Lucid. There are some great clips there. But, when I went to check here in Lucid I noticed that there are about four selections to choose from. The Library, ping, SVG and one more. Guess I might go with Library. Don't know for sure yet. Another weekend project. Also will have to choose one of the weather ones too. In Hardy I only had the one, Lucid gives plenty to choose from for weather too. Kind of nice to have so many choices but also decisions-decisions.

Again, thanks for the information. Always learning, which is one of the reasons I chose to stay with Ubuntu instead of Windows. At least I have plenty of help if needed here. Never had anyone put down like I've seen happen in other forums that I've visited years ago.

Have a great day everyone!!
Off to work I go.

Tom
FYI on updates. I did the "upgrade" from 9.10 to 10.04 because it was offered on my update notice. When I selected the upgrade it took over 1.5 hours to download all of the updates plus the upgrade to 10.04. Don't remember the number of updates it listed but there were a bunch.

Just wondering, but could that be the reason about the only problem I am having is the slow operation of getting to websites with 10.04, as opposed to all of the problems it seems others are having?