PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remarks on Installing 10.04

irv
May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Yesterday my neighbor was having a garage sale and I went over and bought two old computers. One was a desktop Pentium 4 single core 1.8GHz with 244.5 MiB Ram and a 17.7 GB hard drive with a keyboard and mouse. The other was a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. The laptop did not have a power supply so I order one off ebay for 10 bucks. I bought both computers for 25 cents each. That's right 25 cents. The mouse was worth that much. Well I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on the desktop and that is what I am using right now. It runs a little slow, but it works great so far. I plan on installing 10.04 on the laptop when I get the power supply. I may boast the memory up on the desktop and give it to some needy person in my area.
One point I wanted to make on 10.4, I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 which I have 9.04 on. I had a hard time getting it to run because of video and wireless problems. I tried to run 10.4 on it, and it still has the same issues. Does not like my wireless card and my Hanns-G 22 inch monitor flicker and I can't fix it with the refresh rate. But when I used this monitor on the desktop it works just great, so I think it is a graphic card issue. I don't think the Dell Inspiron 1521 and Ubuntu like each other. I hope I can get Ubuntu installed on the Dell Inspiron 6000. I was just wondering if anyone has it installed on one, and if the install went well?
In closing I just want to say Ubuntu has come a long way, but it would be nice to see it run on my 1521 laptop with out so many issues. I wanted to update to 10.4, but I don't want to do it and find I have problems.

TBABill
May 3rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
Just a single point. If you're going to give one away to someone to use, why not try Lubuntu 10.04 on it since it runs so much snappier than Ubuntu? On older hardware it may give it a bit more pep than you'd get from Ubuntu since Gnome is a little heavier than LXDE. I'm sure they'll be happy with a free computer regardless of what is running on it, and your generosity will surely be appreciated.

irv
May 3rd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the advise. I am going to download Lubuntu and burn a CD and install it on this older Desktop before giving it to someone. Thanks again.

irv
May 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM
Well, I tried Lubuntu and it took to much away from a good desktop, so I reinstalled Ubuntu. There was a little improvement in speed, but I would rather do it slower and have the improvements that come with gnome. Maybe I will increase the RAM to 1GB because the 32MB is where the slowdown come in. Even with just 32MB it would be usable if you don't care about waiting for things to load. One thing, I have a fast Internet which helps.

tgalati4
May 3rd, 2010, 06:54 PM
I picked up a bunch of RAM sticks (like a fistful) for $3.

I overpaid.

irv
May 3rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
I picked up a bunch of RAM sticks (like a fistful) for $3.

I overpaid.

I got a box full of RAM and don't have the right ones I need. Either to small or the wrong kind. I just order some off of ebay.