PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need advice to install Lucid on multi boot system

VicVega
May 2nd, 2010, 10:54 PM
My current setup multi boots Hardy (8.04) on a drive (sda) that is partitioned for several versions of Linux and a second (sdb) drive that has only XP. I would like to install Lucid into one of the partitions on sda without borking my current setup. I want to keep Hardy.

The main question is: What to do with GRUB2 and my current GRUB legacy version. Also, will I need an additional swap partition for Lucid?

I like the fact that everything works well with Hardy. I rarely boot into XP and am not concerned about it that much. I have a separate partition for my personal files(Data) and HOME is in the root partition of Hardy. Attached is a picture of my partition setup. It is probably easier to visualize than to explain.

I need advice on the best way to install Lucid and still be able to run Hardy with my current setup. I have search the forum and Google, but have not found a solution. I'm sure it can be done, I'm just not sure of the best way to do it. I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

frantid
May 2nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
you don't need a different swap, just make sure you always do a restart between switching distros - i.e. don't switch when one is hibernated to the other one.

I installed everything in one partition, manually. just choosing one partition for root. Then I installed grub2 into the partition NOT the MBR. This way I can chainload into lucid, test it out and it is pretty much isolated from the rest of my machine.

VicVega
May 3rd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the response frantid. I'd like to hear from others on this too.

Thanks