PDA

View Full Version : anyone here used openSUSE?

listerdl
May 2nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
What is it like? I fancy a change and it just looks good, thats my simple reason for trying it.

Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks!

darolu
May 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
OpenSuSE used to be my distro before trying Ubuntu; I used it for like 2 and a half years; it is a nice distro, it has a nice custom-menu that you may like, it's a bit similar to Mint's. But the real nice thing about OpenSuSE is YAST (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yet_Another_Setup_Tool), its "control-panel", has all you need to manage your system in a neat categories-scheme, from installing applications to configuring network and customizing your desktop, there are packages that you can install with one single click from the website too.

Why I switched? well first, OpenSuSE's patron is Novell, and they started to make some "dangerous" deals with Microsoft, they exchange code and all so there are risk of ending with free-software from Novell transforming into proprietary software owned by Microsoft or similar stuff; anyways I also changed because of practical issues like the support you get from OpenSuSE community... sorry for the expression but most of the people on their forums can be real bitches, they are not as nice as people here in Ubuntu, I also like the clean look of Ubuntu and that is more "dynamic" community/distro, everything is easier (and therefore faster) in Ubuntu so you don't waste much time configuring your system.

Try it, it is a fine distro, but I think you'll end comming back to Ubuntu.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention; OpenSuSE has the greatest mascot I've seen in the free-software world, that chameleon rocks imo.

scouser73
May 2nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
I have used openSUSE and I wouldn't use it again, the software itself is very well put together but the practicalities remained a headache for me. I've also found their forum to be a rude and intolerant of people coming from another operating system.

Still, give it a try and see for yourself.

mk1w86
May 2nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
Are you looking to try OpenSUSE in particular? If not Fedora might be worth a look. ;)

spiky001
May 2nd, 2010, 11:01 PM
I use it I got it triple booted Used it since feb/march Is different just takes abit of getting used to, as dose anything all worked well kde & normal

TBABill
May 2nd, 2010, 11:04 PM
I used it for a month or so after using Ubuntu. It did better with Adobe Flash, which was one of my sticking points that caused me to distro hop, but recent changes to flash have placed a lot of distros on more of an even playing field in that regard. It was easy to setup and get going, but its way of managing updates and software is a bit different. Nothing difficult, just a different way of doing things you'll have to adjust to. But, if I can do it anyone can :)

If you want to try another OS after OpenSUSE that uses rpm's instead of deb's, PCLinuxOS is a really nice looking distro that just came out in final recently for 2010. And it still uses synaptic like Ubuntu, which means a little less to get used to.

Final thought - you just won't find the level of expertise and friendliness with another distros forums like here with Ubuntu. Many are friendly, but none have the numbers of people willing and able to help.

ajgreeny
May 2nd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Yes I tried it a while ago, and whilst it semed very good and very slick in certain ways it was also extremely, frustratingly slow at updating and dealing with yast was a nightmare compared with apt-get or synaptic. Yast is a bit too much of a "let's do anything and everything you could ever want to do to the system" type of application and I found it rather confusing.

However that's coming from someone who thinks that the debian/ubuntu package management system is the best available in any linux distro that I have tried.

spiky001
May 2nd, 2010, 11:09 PM
+1 the forums are no where as good as here

P4man
May 2nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
What is it like? I fancy a change and it just looks good, thats my simple reason for trying it.

Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks!

How could it be a bad idea to try it, if you feel like trying it ? :)

User3k
May 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
There is no such thing as a "bad" Linux distro in my opinion. I personally jump around a bit. Distro hopping for me is not a big deal. I don't want to just settle for one and become a die hard fan. I am a die hard fan of all of Linux (Most of BSD as well)

I like OpenSuse, but the tools and set up is a little different of course. My favorite has always been Ubuntu since their first release (before that Mandrake, now known as Mandriva.) But if you want to try Suse, go for it. If you like green better then purple, then more power to ya' ;-)

fooman
May 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
i keep opensuse 11.2 installed on one of my 3, 500gb hard drives in this machine (triple boot: lucid 10.04, opensuse 11.2, vista64 ultimate).

it was the first linux distro that i used. ran it exclusively for about 2 years before switching over to ubuntu as my main os.

as has been said already....yast is overbloated and was very slow with updating/installing in some of the past versions. it has improved a lot as far as speed goes in 11.2, but i still find it bloated and intimidating. and the forums are nowheres close to the fine class of folks we have here. :P

but it is a fine distro...give it a try!

Pjotr123
May 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
openSUSE is pretty cool.... I have several triple boot computers (Ubuntu + openSUSE + Windows), and I boot openSUSE for a few things it does slightly better than Ubuntu. Only slightly, but better nonetheless.

Ubuntu is simpler to use, but openSUSE is just as good. Reliable, stable, won't let you down. Just like Ubuntu.

About Novell: let's not forget that Novell is one of the biggest contributors to the development of the Linux kernel... It's in the top 3. Novell is good people. :)
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/08/24/who-works-on-the-linux-kernel/

The openSUSE forum: the folks there were always friendly towards me when I asked for help...

Hman242
May 2nd, 2010, 11:48 PM
The OS is fine but as I recall it the one of the forum Admin was very condescending.

yester64
May 3rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
I use OpenSuse and i am pretty happy with it.
The key question is, what do you look for in a distro?

People will argue all day which distro is better or what technology is more advanced, but in the end in boils down to what do you prefer.
As far as stability goes, OpenSuse is not worst or better than mm... let say Ubuntu. Altough i had lesser problems with OpenSuse than with Ubuntu. But it also depends really on the machine you have etc...
From all the threads i read here, everyone has very different experiences in how well a distro works.

RPM or DEB does not matter really in the real world. You install your software and run it.
Try it out and judge for yourself.

In the end its just a different distro but at the heart its linux. Isn't that what counts?

Hman242
May 3rd, 2010, 01:00 AM
I use OpenSuse and i am pretty happy with it.
The key question is, what do you look for in a distro?

People will argue all day which distro is better or what technology is more advanced, but in the end in boils down to what do you prefer.
As far as stability goes, OpenSuse is not worst or better than mm... let say Ubuntu. Altough i had lesser problems with OpenSuse than with Ubuntu. But it also depends really on the machine you have etc...
From all the threads i read here, everyone has very different experiences in how well a distro works.

RPM or DEB does not matter really in the real world. You install your software and run it.
Try it out and judge for yourself.

In the end its just a different distro but at the heart its linux. Isn't that what counts?
Well said.

sandyd
May 3rd, 2010, 01:12 AM
Tried it, and it didn't work well w/ my ati card.
got pissed, wiped it off, and have been using mandriva/ubuntu ever since.

ronnielsen1
May 3rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
I have used openSUSE and I wouldn't use it again, the software itself is very well put together but the practicalities remained a headache for me. I've also found their forum to be a rude and intolerant of people coming from another operating system.

Sticking with debian based distros myself and puppy (though sometimes frustrating in dependency hell) Yast was too slowwwww

murderslastcrow
May 3rd, 2010, 02:27 AM
I like it okay, but I'm totally addicted to Add/Remove and the Ubuntu Software Center. It's a major feature for me.

Personally, it's hard for me to use anything I wouldn't suggest to a noob for any extended period of time.

alket
May 3rd, 2010, 02:46 AM
Yes Ubuntu Software Center is a huge step, Synpatic and Apt-get are very complex for a new user.

User3k
May 3rd, 2010, 03:01 AM
Yes Ubuntu Software Center is a huge step, Synpatic and Apt-get are very complex for a new user.

I completely agree. It is nice to have other options and still being able to do things like compile, have the synaptic package manager, apt-get and so on. But that Software center is great for new users and even for me when I just want a short list to browse on slow days.

lancest
May 3rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Before Novell I used to love SUSE.
Was my first distro running Compiz
Quite stylish

Three things:
1. Microsoft deal soured my taste.
2. SUSE repositories are slow here.
3. Yast is too bulky.

Prefer the simplicity of Ubuntu
IMHO these days SUSE might be better suited as a paid support OS. Has great integration.

Chrysantine
May 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
I use openSUSE/SLES because they're better in a business environment than other comparative distributions - not to mention I prefer zypper over apt-get (and the configuration layout used in SuSE is much better than those in Debian derivates).

I'm not trying to push it to anyone tho' - use what you like, if you use something else, that's just fine. Just respect my choice as well.

m4tic
May 3rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
I still have SUSE 11 hidden somewhere. It's a nice distro but lacks tools compared to Mandriva

stuart.reinke
May 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
I have been using it since last fall when Karmic failed me on my hardware.
My personal opinions:
Yast is an awsome tool.
KDE implementation is miles ahead of kubuntu
Their forums are just as friendly and helpful as here
The Novell/Microsoft deal is a case of "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
That is my opinions and experiences. The only way to be sure is to try it yourself.
Linux is awsome no matter which distro you use.

m4tic
May 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
I have been using it since last fall when Karmic failed me on my hardware.
My personal opinions:
Yast is an awsome tool.
KDE implementation is miles ahead of kubuntu
Their forums are just as friendly and helpful as here
The Novell/Microsoft deal is a case of "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
That is my opinions and experiences. The only way to be sure is to try it yourself.
Linux is awsome no matter which distro you use.

I really don't think Novell's dealings concern any of us. If something bad ever happens, we'll pirate linux to the fullest

kaldor
May 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
I had horrible experiences with it. I hate it and never intend to use it after three separate headaches.

I don't get how people are able to use it and say it's so great after all the problems I had.

Don't get me wrong; it's probably a great distro. I just never had a touch of good luck with it. Problem after problem.

listerdl
May 3rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah - i posted this thread expecting a few replies but wow!

I think all in all i will stick with ubuntu simply because it works! I have had very little problems except a painful sound issue that i have finally solved but otherwise it boots in a very quick time.

The only reason to see openSUSE is cause it just looked cool, simple as that.

These forums are amazing - and I think that is the reason why I will stay put - likely forever!!

But - on a slight tangent, why would someone use openSUSE more than Ubuntu?

Pjotr123
May 3rd, 2010, 02:10 PM
why would someone use openSUSE more than Ubuntu?

openSUSE integrates somewhat better in a mixed environment with Windows computers. Slightly better interoperability than Ubuntu. Novell even has a limited cooperation with Microsoft for that (shock!): http://www.moreinterop.com/

Before people start freaking out about this: as I said, Novell is good people. It's in the top 3 of contributors to the Linux kernel, from which we all benefit....
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/08/24/who-works-on-the-linux-kernel/

That's about it. The user interface of openSUSE is a bit boring and Windows XP-like, at least in the Gnome version (which I use). Since 10.04 Ubuntu looks better.

listerdl
May 5th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah I decided against it and I am really glad that i didnt install openSUSE cause fristly this community is the best - and secondly - 10.4 Lucid is absolutely amazing.......really good....

Congrat to the Ubuntu development team.

ubunterooster
May 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
the main difference is YAST. Some like it; others (myself) do not at all

BrokenKingpin
May 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I absolutely hated SuSE when I used it about 4-5 years ago. I tried it again about a year ago and it has moved a long way, but just found it a bit bloated and slow overall.

It does have the best KDE implementation out of any distro I have used though. For now I see no need to switch from Ubuntu though.

screaminj3sus
May 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM
IMO opensuse has gone downhill as of late, I used to like it years ago but I just find it just "meh" it always tends to be kinda outdated due to longer release times, package management is really slow, and the distro as a whole feels pretty slow. One thing I think they do well is their gnome desktop which is laid out quite nicely though.

Hopefully 11.3 will be an improvement.