PDA

View Full Version : buying computer parts as you can afford them?

mamamia88
May 2nd, 2010, 10:23 PM
say newegg is having a deal and it ends at the end of the month. you won't have enough cash to build a whole pc for a few months. would you buy a motherboard if it was on sale with a mail in rebate this month?

NovaAesa
May 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
If you were going to spend that money on the mobo anyway, and didn't have any plans to invest it over the next few months while saving for the rest of the funds - then why not buy the mobo?

Phrea
May 2nd, 2010, 10:33 PM
Only if it's something special that is already ready for the foreseeable future.

mamamia88
May 2nd, 2010, 10:33 PM
it's only $10 think i will just save up until i have all the money.

VeeDubb
May 2nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
it's only $10 think i will just save up until i have all the money.

Good call.

Newegg has sales constantly. There's no reason to be particularly concerned about a $10 mail in rebate that expires soon.

There will be new rebates and new instant rebates and new sale prices. Maybe a month from ow you end up getting a different motherboard because the prices shift, but that's about as bad as it get's.

Perfect example. I bought a high-end netbook from them on Friday. Today, the price is $10 higher, but shipping is free.

Warpnow
May 2nd, 2010, 11:01 PM
No. Cash appreciates, Technology depreciates. Buying early is a terrible idea because of the huge difference in future and current value.

In a "couple months" the good deal on newegg won't be a good deal, and the cash you'll have spent would have been more if it had just sat in an account, which is to ingore the inherent value of liquidity. Having cash is better than having an equal value computer part without a computer for it to go in.

Miguel
May 2nd, 2010, 11:18 PM
No. Cash appreciates, Technology depreciates. Buying early is a terrible idea because of the huge difference in future and current value.

Let me rephrase that: money depreciates, but PC technology depreciates way faster. In any case, I wouldn't buy the mobo uneless you need it now. For a very similar amount of money you'll be able to buy the same mobo or a better one once you have enough cah to buy the full PC.

madhi19
May 2nd, 2010, 11:37 PM
Like everybody else said unless it a very great deal you should wait to buy!

Spike-X
May 3rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
I'd wait until I had enough money to build a whole system. By that time, prices will most likely have dropped, as they're constantly doing with computer parts, so you'd actually save more by waiting.

Unless it's something crazy like 50% off a $500 motherboard, or something.

NMFTM
May 3rd, 2010, 05:45 AM
Let me rephrase that: money depreciates, but PC technology depreciates way faster.
I don't know about that. In a few years the US dollar might not be worth the paper it's printed on.

lisati
May 3rd, 2010, 05:49 AM
Don't be too hasty to buy parts, technology changes. I have a games card in near-new condition that I purchased for a now-discarded MS-DOS machine. I can't easily use it in any of my current crop of machines because it's not PCI....

NMFTM
May 3rd, 2010, 05:54 AM
Don't be too hasty to buy parts, technology changes. I have a games card in near-new condition that I purchased for a now-discarded MS-DOS machine. I can't easily use it in any of my current crop of machines because it's not PCI....
I thought PCI graphics cards were old technology. What did they use before that?

cascade9
May 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM

Umm...cause its not PCI? Odd. I've played games made for the older PCI video cards with AGP/PCIe computers.

Are you sure its a PCI problem?

I thought PCI graphics cards were old technology. What did they use before that?

Vesa Local Bus, ISA.

swoll1980
May 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Chances are, if you wait a few months the price will come down even lower than that. At least that's my experience with it.

98cwitr
May 3rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
I bought my case a few months before buying the rest of the parts...get a better job, lulz

Maheriano
May 3rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Start a business and then all of your computer purchases are a 100% writeoff for taxes. That's what I do.

ki4anr
May 3rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
If you dont have much money to buy PC parts, and you are not in a big hurry and refrain from impulse buying, look through NewEgg or other sites and look at MoBo's and processors. You shouldn't have any trouble with any modern Linux OS working with them either. Do your research on those two, read the reviews and keep saving up the money for the price you see listed, no matter what the rebates they have. Within a couple of months the price will drop and if you save up enough for the price you originally were to pay then go ahead and get a good quality MoBo and processor. Everything else you get as far as peripherals (PSU,Video, Sound) and tower cases don't change very often in price as much as Mobo's and processors do. Don't get into buying frenzy and go for a bundled price (unless its a MoBo/Processor combo) you may get something you really didn't want. I have gotten into the fever of buying when rebates come out, but its usually not as good as you think it is. Just my thoughts on the matter! :D:D