PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 8.04, firestarter, ufw & user privileges

bobox
May 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Hello,

I'm an Ubuntu newbie. I've just installed Bio-Linux from NEBC (http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/tools/bio-linux/bio-linux-5.0) on an IBM T42 laptop. Bio-Linux is Ubuntu 8.04 plus a heap of Bioinformatics packages.

I'm having issues with the firewall. Bio-Linux came with Firestarter front end to the firewall. Since that's no longer maintained, I installed GUFW 0.20.7 (http://gufw.tuxfamily.org/)

First question: how do I remove the now unused Firestarter? (computer house keeping in mind)

Second question: why can't I sudo from a user account to start GUFW? (I have two accounts; admin (ALL user privileges) and user (All privileges except 'Admin system', 'manage printers', 'share files')). If I try, I'm prompted for the admin password, but am told sudo can't do this.

Other than giving user the 'Admininster system' privilege (which would erode the distinction between Admin and User), is there a workaround for this? As it is I'm running from the Admin account so I can have confidence that the system is secure.

Thanks in advance (and for the great forum ... it's going to be a great help on the steep learning curve ahead)

Bbx

marshmallow1304
May 2nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
1) To remove firestarter

sudo apt-get remove firestarter && sudo apt-get autoremove

2) GUFW is just a front-end for configuring the system firewall. You do not need to have it running to be protected.

bobox
May 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
1) To remove firestarter

sudo apt-get remove firestarter && sudo apt-get autoremove2) GUFW is just a front-end for configuring the system firewall. You do not need to have it running to be protected.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll remove Firestarter once I've learned about the details of that commandline.

How can I know that UFW is running? Sorry, basic question ...

bbx

marshmallow1304
May 2nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
How can I know that UFW is running?

sudo ufw status

You can manipulate it in other ways as well.

sudo ufw enable

sudo ufw disable

bobox
May 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the answers in this
Bbx