PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't get on internet! - 2 different nm-applet 0.7.996?

dbch
May 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi.

My roomate - I don't know what he did. He's got a bunch of stuff he added to his panels.

His network manager applet is different then mine now - but same number.

Mine has two computers, blue screens, overlapped. His has a big black box thing.

My computer connects and his doesn't. I added a third panel for all the extra stuff he put on and 'notification areas' everywhere, cuz when I deleted my nm-applet I had to add that to panel to get back on the internet.

What do we do to his computer?

Thanks.

He's freaking out - plays an online game. :)

compiz addict
May 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Scare him with the word "format"! Nah, just kidding (but do it for a laugh anyway), is it wireless or wired?
There's a command called ifconfig, or something like that, and you can use it to set up network settings.

dbch
May 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Hi.

Clicking on my applet says Wired Network and auto etho0

dbch
May 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Please help.

spiky001
May 2nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
are these both ubuntu pc,s? cause the 2 blue screens is like windows???

dbch
May 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
I don't know what 'pc,s' is. They're both 9.10 version. He used to have the same network manager applet as me - a picture of 2 computers overlapped showing blue screens. Now, its a big black box with white dots along the bottom. Its shows connection active, everything works, we've unplugged and plugged, tried different slots on the cable router, my computer is fine.

I've tried removing the notification area and then adding it again and the same black box shows up and when he tries to load firefox it won't load - 'problem loading page'.

Thanks for the help...

compiz addict
May 3rd, 2010, 01:32 AM
Have you made sure networking is enabled?
Right-click the network manager icon and see if "Enable Networking" is checked. If it's not, click it.

Now try again. If it still doesn't work, make sure your browser isn't working offline.