PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Chromium Web Browser & Google Chrome

captgadget
May 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
After a clean install Lucid 10.4 I now have a Chromium Web Browser & a Google Chrome. It appears they are one in the same. Should I remove one of them so I don't have both of them?

WiReIs
May 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Its up to yourself, no point in having two browsers really. Chromium rocks :guitar:

sixthwheel
May 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
Chromium rocks
Not since this morning.:confused:

flyfishingphil
May 3rd, 2010, 04:02 AM
Its up to yourself, no point in having two browsers really. Chromium rocks :guitar:
So, I tried Chromium but, when visiting places like Pogo.com, I get the message that I need to install Java before it will work. In trying to add the icedtea thin I got this message:
dk-6-jre-lib icedtea-plugin
[sudo] password for flyfishingphil:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
openjdk-6-jre is already the newest version.
openjdk-6-jre-lib is already the newest version.
openjdk-6-jre-lib set to manually installed.
E: Couldn't find package icedtea-plugin

It appears to me that the java is already in there but Chromium doesn't "see" it. Is there something I need to do to get it to "see" and "use" the java that's already plugged in?

Tulsapoke
May 4th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I upgraded to Lucid 10.04 and now my Java in Chrome and Chromium quit working. I haven't found any way to get it working yet either. Hopefully someone comes up with a fix as I have become addicted to Chrome.

Mike.lifeguard
May 4th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I upgraded to Lucid 10.04 and now my Java in Chrome and Chromium quit working. I haven't found any way to get it working yet either. Hopefully someone comes up with a fix as I have become addicted to Chrome.

Strange - I did the same upgrade with no issue re java in chrome. Is there any error message?

zeroseven0183
May 4th, 2010, 01:19 AM
For a summary of their differences, check out http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome where it says

Google Chrome is the Chromium open source project built, packaged, and distributed by Google.

I only use Google Chrome beta. I believe Chromium-browser is the daily-build.

ubunterooster
May 4th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Google Chrome is the official. Chromium is what's given to the distributions to alter. Chromium will vary from one distro to another, but Google Chrome is always the same.

ruario
June 20th, 2010, 08:24 AM
It appears to me that the java is already in there but Chromium doesn't "see" it. Is there something I need to do to get it to "see" and "use" the java that's already plugged in?

Use Sun's Java or hack around it by creating various symlinks, see:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6/+bug/594791

da burger
June 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM
The primary difference though is how it was built. Chrome is built by google and is an official release. It is built from the chromium source code with only a few modifications. Chromium is what it is called when built by anyone else who can of course make their own modifications.