PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nVidia Drivers causing resolution issues with terminals.

Tynach
May 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
You know, the "ctrl+alt+F5" type things, where you go to those pure command lines?

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 from scratch, and everything was working great! Good resolution, etc. When I booted up my computer, the (very brief) splash screen fit the entire resolution of my monitor (1680x1050), and the X server did the same.

When I'd go to one of those 'tty' terminals, I was surprised (in a good way) to see that they had scaled to my monitor's resolution as well. I was looking forward to using that.

Well, time came where I wanted to turn on Compiz, so I downloaded/installed the nVidia drivers.

Well, they work. I can work with Compiz and 3D games at full speed and full resolution in Ubuntu, and I have zero complaints about that.

What I do have a complaint about is that the terminals (tty5, in the above example) are back to that old resolution, 640x480 I believe. Also, that brief splash screen is at the same horrible resolution, instead of the full resolution I had on the old nVidia driver that didn't support 3D effects.

Is there a way to get that back? Is it a bug or a glitch that it's no longer scaling the tty's to my display resolution, and do I just have to wait for an update?

bowens44
May 2nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
I can't help you with the ugly splash screen. That is an issue with Plymouth and the proprietary nvidia drivers. Personally, I don't use a splash screen, I like to see what is happening during the boot up and shut down process so I turn it off.

As far as getting the correct resolution in the virtual terminals, I followed the instructions at this link:

http://lab.frontseed.com/entry/enable-frambeuffer-ubuntu-karmic-koala-using-grub2

It says it's for karmic but works for lucid too.

Tynach
May 2nd, 2010, 10:41 PM
Well, I had my doubts, but that went above and BEYOND my problem!

It solved both my complaints, AND it made GRUB use my full monitor resolution! WOW!

Lurkos
May 7th, 2010, 12:44 AM
It didn't work for me! :-(
I've added vga=0x161 to grub loader configuration, since I'm using grub-legacy.